Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Cichlids for a 30g? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/cichlids-30g-108779/)

Aluyasha 07-27-2012 02:38 PM

Cichlids for a 30g?

So I have a now empty 30g (fish were rehomed, not died) and I have always been interested in Cichlids. I know most (Jack Dempsey, Oscar, Red Devil, Flowerhorn, ect) grow way too big for a 30g. But are there any smaller types of cichlids that can live in a 30g? I know Convicts can, but are they aggressive towards their owners? I had a paradise fish once that always attacked me so now I am alittle paranoid about biting fish. lol
If I got any cichlids it would only be one or two in the tank with nothing else living in there. I am interested in any and all cichlids. :)
Thanks!

Also what about Blood Parrots? I keep getting mixed answers on their minimum tank requirments. Some say as large as 75 gallons for one but I have also been hearing just as much responses for 30 gallon being minimum. :/

nawilson89 07-27-2012 03:10 PM

A good Cichild for a 30g would be a Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) or the Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi). Both are dwarf cichilds.

Aluyasha 07-27-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nawilson89 (Post 1173971)
A good Cichild for a 30g would be a Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) or the Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi). Both are dwarf cichilds.

I think I have seen those before (blue ram, I mean). How many of those could go in a 30g?
Thanks.

Jayy 07-27-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aluyasha (Post 1173977)
I think I have seen those before (blue ram, I mean). How many of those could go in a 30g?
Thanks.

The Bolivian Ram are easier to keep than the Blue Rams. Both of need soft water, so what are your parameters? Blue Ram also prefer temps warmer than other tropical fish (82-88) You can find out more by viewing the profile by clicking on the shaded name.

Aluyasha 07-27-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayy (Post 1173984)
The Bolivian Ram are easier to keep than the Blue Rams. Both of need soft water, so what are your parameters? Blue Ram also prefer temps warmer than other tropical fish (82-88) You can find out more by viewing the profile by clicking on the shaded name.

I have hard water. Around 7.5-8.0
And I think where I live I can only get Blue Rams. :/

Jayy 07-27-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aluyasha (Post 1173989)
I have hard water. Around 7.5-8.0
And I think where I live I can only get Blue Rams. :/

With that ph, I think it would be smart to look at other cichlids. Most blue rams are wild caught and wouldn't do well in that ph range. Maybe you can look at the cichilid profiles, most live in hard water. I also saw you mentioned convicts, you can have a pair in a 40gal+ tank. The Bolivians would do better in your water. Do you have an local fish store? Most places are willing to order in fish if you ask?

Aluyasha 07-27-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayy (Post 1173995)
With that ph, I think it would be best to look at other cichlids. Most blue rams are wild caught and wouldn't do well in that ph range. Maybe you can look at the cichilid profiles, most live in hard water.

Well I have been really considering a Convict. But I was just curious if they are aggressive toward their owners? I do not want to own a fish that attacks me. lol
And would a male be fine living alone? I do not want tons of fry.

Jayy 07-27-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aluyasha (Post 1173998)
Well I have been really considering a Convict. But I was just curious if they are aggressive toward their owners? I do not want to own a fish that attacks me. lol

I've never kept them before, but I would think so.

ap4910 08-14-2012 09:01 PM

I have three dwarf flag cichlids in my tank. Golden ram as well.. They dont mess with my neons at all. only get about three inches. Also a firemouth my fit. I have never owned a convict but hear they can get mean when spawning. If you like their look check out the honduran red point

Tazman 08-14-2012 09:40 PM

Firemouth needs the swimming space of a 48" 4ft tank of 40g or more.

Convicts will not attack you, there is no reason anyway really with the correct gravel vacuum to really have your hand/arm in the tank anyway. Convicts are also amongst the most hardy of cichlids, they will do fine in a pH range of 6-8 and a temperature range of 68-82F, if you want to keep a pair, then buy juveniles about 6 and let them pair off naturally, you cannot force them to pair off and they will attack the others once a pair forms, so you need to remove all but the mated pair.

What is your general hardness level (specific number), 7.6-8 if that is the hardness level and not pH is only slightly hard. Without knowing this number then it is hard to offer suggestions. A lot of the cichlids in the size suitable for your tank either require hard water (above 18-30dGH) or soft water (0-3dGH)

All of the Lake Malawi cichlids are out of the equation as the tank is too small for any of them.

For that size tank it would be only 1 Bolivian Ram and a few dither fish as tank mates.