Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Regrowing tail fin? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/regrowing-tail-fin-108630/)

russp 07-26-2012 08:27 AM

Regrowing tail fin?

One of my yellow labs has lost part of his tail fin. He (or she) seems to be doing OK other than not moving around quite as quickly as the other 3. Will the fin eventually heal and grow back or should I name this one stumpy?

1077 07-26-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russp (Post 1172074)
One of my yellow labs has lost part of his tail fin. He (or she) seems to be doing OK other than not moving around quite as quickly as the other 3. Will the fin eventually heal and grow back or should I name this one stumpy?

Yes ,fins will regenerate assuming fish is not being attacked Regularly and clean enviornment is provided.

Chesh 07-26-2012 08:34 AM

It should heal up on it's own, though it may not be quite what it once was. . . :) Keep the water nice and clean, and keep his stress down as much as possible. What happened to him? If he is being bullied by another fish, make sure that you separate the two - good luck!

Tazman 07-26-2012 08:47 AM

What are the other fish in with it?

Yellow labs are not prone to fin rot, usually it is a major act of aggression if they lose part of their tail fins.

russp 07-26-2012 10:31 AM

It's a 29 gallon tank with 4 yellow labs. I haven't noticed any aggression between the fish and they have plenty of hiding places. Whatever happened occurred while I was on vacation (Quebec City). I got back to some pretty cloudy water in this one tank, I must have put too much food in each glass I left my house sitter to feed the fish with in this tank, my smaller one was fine. I did a 30% change right away and have done 2.5 gallon changes each day since. After another 10 gallon tomorrow or Saturday, that will be a full tank change so hopefully the water will be back to clear and healthy.

I do notice now he is staying close to the top of the tank most of the time which is unusual. He is going to other levels to eat.

1077 07-26-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russp (Post 1172164)
It's a 29 gallon tank with 4 yellow labs. I haven't noticed any aggression between the fish and they have plenty of hiding places. Whatever happened occurred while I was on vacation (Quebec City). I got back to some pretty cloudy water in this one tank, I must have put too much food in each glass I left my house sitter to feed the fish with in this tank, my smaller one was fine. I did a 30% change right away and have done 2.5 gallon changes each day since. After another 10 gallon tomorrow or Saturday, that will be a full tank change so hopefully the water will be back to clear and healthy.

I do notice now he is staying close to the top of the tank most of the time which is unusual. He is going to other levels to eat.

Sounds like this fish is low man on the totem pole at the moment.
Cichlid's are often fine together until one or more reach sexual maturity and then everything changes.
Doesn't have to be a female present for the fish to begin dominating other fish, but add a female to the mix that is not ready to spawn, and this would or could, result in the interested male getting aggressive with the female or other males.
Not much room in 29 gallons for territorial disputes and or room for spawning that may take place with more than a couple of these fish.

Chesh 07-26-2012 11:17 AM

I have to agree with Tazman on this one. . . it may be a wise idea to sit and watch the tank for a good amount of time from an area of the room where they can't see you, to observe their behavior when you aren't around. Even considering the bad conditions you came back to, there could still very well be some aggressive behavior going on that you don't know about. . . how long have they been together?

russp 07-26-2012 12:06 PM

I started the tank back in December with 3 different types of chiclid (2 each) but quickly realized thanks to advice on this forum that it would not work. It's been about four months now with just the 4 yellow labs; the two originals from December and two I added in April (I think).

russp 07-26-2012 04:02 PM

I guess it's still possible for this guy to be bottom of the pecking order but I realize he is not the smallest, the other fish I added at about the same time is at least a 1/2" smaller. Still don't know what I really have as far as males and females.

Tazman 07-26-2012 09:45 PM

Females tend to remain smaller and the black line is not as prominent as the males. Only way to tell for sure is vent them but that is stressful and takes a bit of getting used to doing and knowing what to look for.