Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   hi (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hi-108615/)

pumpkinnose 07-26-2012 12:51 AM

hi

Hi. My husband, 2 kids and I have had an aquarium for almost 4 years now. The aquarium we have is just a 10 gallon but are really hoping to upgrade to at least a 70 sometime next year.

We started off with just some goldfish and a pleco. But our goldfish died last month so we decided to go with some platies. Anyways I didn't know much about them when we got them on the 2nd of this month. Now that we have them after only losing 2, we are patiently waiting for our first drop of babies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Romad 07-26-2012 04:37 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Sorry to say that if you have a common pleco., that tank is too small for him. They are also notorious poopers and will foul a tank of that size pretty quickly once they get large enough.

pumpkinnose 07-26-2012 08:43 AM

Yeah i found that out this year. We have plans though to move everyone into a bigger tank next year. I'm looking at going ahead and getting a 70 gallon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hailfire 07-26-2012 12:24 PM

Welcome to the forum,, Hope you enjoy your time here.

Romad is right, I fell for the whole common pleco fish too years ago. I still have it after all these years. It's in a 75 gallon tank and I wonder sometimes if that is even not big enough for it. Seems happy though.

pumpkinnose 07-26-2012 12:28 PM

We've had the guy for 3 yrs almost 4 and he's still quite small. He seems happy and hides on a rock formation that we have had for since we had him. I am defintly ready to get a new tank for him
Posted via Mobile Device

eaturbyfill 08-02-2012 05:12 PM

Goldfish require ponds, really. Both goldfish and common plecos grow huge.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! It's nice to meet you and I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming tank.

Olympia 08-02-2012 10:20 PM

Welcome to the forum!
Don't worry, everyone makes fish mistakes! I mean, pet stores just make it SO easy to screw up. That's why we have forums! :-)

pumpkinnose 08-02-2012 10:29 PM

There is no question about getting a new tank for everyone by hopefully June. We just need a place that is big enough to accommodate the size. Right now everyone is in my bedroom. I could probably get a 20 gallon in here if I really tried and am really thinking about it and turning the 10 gallon into a nursery maybe I'm not sure yet. I think I have lost all the babies we had so far from the last week which I know for certain 3 of my four girls have given birth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Olympia 08-02-2012 10:31 PM

Well, sadly the pleco needs at minimum a 55 gallon. :(
If he's still small a fish shop may take him...
Once you get the 20 gallon, you could look into a bristlenose or clown pleco however.
Posted via Mobile Device

pumpkinnose 08-02-2012 10:37 PM

After we move my husband is trying to talk me into a 70 or larger lol. So there will be plenty of room after we move. Plus I will be able to add more variety of fish to the aquarium. Which I'm debating about now. My husband is trying to talk me into adding bala sharks to my mix but I'm looking at fish that won't get much bigger then my platies I already have.
Posted via Mobile Device