Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Looking for Aquarium Light (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/looking-aquarium-light-108583/)

Jester10 07-25-2012 06:46 PM

Looking for Aquarium Light

I'm searching for 36in Aquarium light for a heavily planted tank. I'm having trouble with this because i have some special requirements. It needs to be less than 3 ins tall. This is because the Aquarium is set inside of an antique TV and needs to look as "stock" as possible to no altering the top of the TV other than the hinge we already added to allow access to the tank. I found one but I don't know that it will work for a heavily planted tank.

If you have a product that suits my needs please provide the full name of the product or a link to the website where it is found.

fishysrfun 07-25-2012 07:57 PM

You could try this

or this

or this

Also could you upload a picture it sounds quite cool

Jester10 07-25-2012 08:37 PM

Do you know if the brackets on the side of the Aquasun light are removeable so the light can sit on a glass top? other wise it is going to be to tall. Also looking for something less and or about $100 less if i can find something of good quality.

Byron 07-25-2012 09:14 PM

The fixture you initially linked in post#1 will certainly provide sufficient light, it is a dual T5 36-inch.

I've no experience with the LED fixtures.

Byron.

fishysrfun 07-26-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester10 (Post 1171561)
Do you know if the brackets on the side of the Aquasun light are removeable so the light can sit on a glass top? other wise it is going to be to tall. Also looking for something less and or about $100 less if i can find something of good quality.

I think they are removable because it says in the description it includes mounting brackets that you may have to put on yourself. Even if thats not true you can probably just cut it off but i think Byron is right that the light you found will work.

Jester10 07-26-2012 06:54 PM

So it would work with plants that require higher intensity lights?

Byron 07-26-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester10 (Post 1172888)
So it would work with plants that require higher intensity lights?

Assuming this is a 3-foot tank, yes, a T5 with two 36-inch tubes in HO will be bright. However, this may cause issues with respect to nutrients--CO2 difussion, and such--depending upon the intended plants. Things still have to balance. Increasing light will not help plants much if the nutrients are not balanced at that higher level.

Byron.

Jester10 07-26-2012 09:27 PM

I wanted swords and some of the red plants liketiger lotus and i alsp plan on using flourish complete fert.

Byron 07-27-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester10 (Post 1173145)
I wanted swords and some of the red plants liketiger lotus and i alsp plan on using flourish complete fert.

I wonder if one tube can be removed and the other still light? One T5 HO tube 36-inch over a 3-foot tank would be sufficient for the named plants. Two tubes might be excess.

Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is a complete fertilizer, but it is intend for natural method planted tanks and used once or at most twice weekly. If the light is more than what will balance, algae will take advantage.

Jester10 07-27-2012 06:59 PM

Ok now I know the title of thread asks about the light but i am also getting an internal filter due to space constraits and i plan on using a fluval u4. Anyone ever use it or knows someone who does.