Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   GBR eggs! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/gbr-eggs-108539/)

fishybert 07-25-2012 11:40 AM

GBR eggs!

Yeah, so 2 weeks into buying a pair of GBRs, of wondering whether i got a male and a female, whether they'd pair off or not, etc., i got my answer...of the eggy kind!

i was wondering why the male kept disappearing into the driftwood formation i made(something i put up just a few days ago), and why it went up and down the side of the driftwood, just occassionally darting out to get some food. Eggs. on the side of a driftwood. Opposite to the cave/pot and flat flint rock i set up for them to lay eggs on.

Anyways, it's 12:38am, i've fished out all but 4 of the rasboras and an endler -- the rasboras were a pain to catch -- and i'm just quietly lurking til the other rasboras stick their heads out.

Do you think it's ok to just leave them there? The GBR pair should be able to fend them off right?

Keeping my fingers crossed...in the meantime i gotta raise me some infusoria! i'm planning to just buy some java moss over the weekend(there's bound to be some infusoria there right?)

SeaHorse 07-25-2012 11:57 AM

Congratulations! Being new parents is stressful and getting all of the other fish out would be the best. They will still constantly be "on guard" for intruders but you are setting yourself up for success this way and them too. Of course that is assuming you have somewhere the fry can go when they grow up... you could have 50 new fish in a few weeks.... and maybe another batch of eggs next week too... lol. Be careful what you wish for!!
Keep us posted on their progress!!

fishybert 07-25-2012 07:49 PM

Is it strange that the dad seems to be the more protective of the eggs? The female tends to swim around more, looking for food. i do see them take turns guarding the eggs and looking for food though.

@jakiebabie: seriously, are GBRs that prolific?

fishybert 07-26-2012 07:35 AM

Hmm, talk about counting unhatched fish....

The eggs have vanished!

Any chance they've hatched? Either that or my GBRs had them for lunch.

Chesh 07-26-2012 02:00 PM

I've read that it can take these guys a couple of tries to get things right, so to speak. It's also possible that you spooked them when you were catching the rasabora - they can be really fussy when it comes to the safety of their brood, and if they feel they're threatened won't think twice about nomming them! I'd say keep all the smaller fish out of the tank for a while - if they did it once, chances are they'll give it another try! Hopefully the next time you'll have better luck. VERY EXCITING!!!

GwenInNM 07-26-2012 09:40 PM

Ahhh, the excitement of eggs. Don't get overly excited. I had a few batches of eggs that the parent ate, before they finally had fry, which they also eventually. . ate :-(

I finally gave up on breeding this species. It's a lot of work, so be prepared. And yes, the male does tend to do most of the guarding.

They will lay eggs again, if your conditions remain good. Don't bother removing any of your other fish. I think having something to "guard" their fry/eggs from actually keeps them from eating them.

Gwen

SeaHorse 07-27-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1173170)
They will lay eggs again, if your conditions remain good. Don't bother removing any of your other fish. I think having something to "guard" their fry/eggs from actually keeps them from eating them. Gwen

Ah... that's a very interesting point. I would not have thought it. But it's like some fish who need dither fish. They sense how safe things are based on how the dither fish acts, otherwise they are in a state of panic all the time. Very good point. I can't even keep this species alive in my tank so I bow down to those of you who can actually get them to the point of laying eggs.

Good luck.

GwenInNM 07-28-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1174204)
Ah... that's a very interesting point. I would not have thought it. But it's like some fish who need dither fish. They sense how safe things are based on how the dither fish acts, otherwise they are in a state of panic all the time. Very good point. I can't even keep this species alive in my tank so I bow down to those of you who can actually get them to the point of laying eggs.

Good luck.

Jackie - I too longer have GBR's :-( I now have a Green spotted puffer in the tank (gone completely the other direction). I believe my male killed the female out of the blue one day. Perhaps wanted to spawn and she wasn't ready? I had the male by himself and he was doing just fine. I tried adding my female Blue Gourami (from another tank), she harrassed him, so I got her out. From the stress he got HIH disease. I think my mistake was not treating soon enough. Wanted to just see if it would clear on it's own. He was doing just fine with it, but even with treatment completed, just went downhill fast. They are no doubt very sensitive, hard to keep fish. I still see pictures of them on my computer, and I feel sad about them. Such pretty fish, especially in a nice planted tank!

Gwen

fish monger 07-28-2012 10:52 AM

I agree with the dither fish effect. According to what I have read, dwarf cichlids in general don't make the best parents after the eggs have hatched. They probably ate the eggs as a reaction to the fish removal; however, while you're looking at your tank, keep an eye out for fry. If you want to raise fry in the future, I'd have a tank ready and net out as many as you can and switch them to the growth tank. Naturally, that tank should be as close as possible to the breeding tank insofar as temperature, water parameters and the filtration should not be so strong as to suck up the fry. Internal air pump driven sponge filters would work well. I'm pretty sure you can buy infusoria starting products. The old way used to be letting a lettuce leaf wilt until it was very limp and add it to a jar of water. When the water gets cloudy, you have infusoria. It should be just a matter of days for you to be able to switch to baby brine shrimp.

GwenInNM 07-28-2012 08:12 PM

If you want brine shrimp eggs, Fishybert, I'll sell you some at a good price :-D

Bought them for $25.00 from amazon, paid another 5.00, I think for shipping. Used them once. The hatch rate is fantastic. They'll last you forever, as the container is 3.5 oz.

Let me know, what you'd pay, if you're interested. GBR fry will often only eat live baby brine, so you have to feed live.

Gwen