Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   DIY co2 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/diy-co2-10852/)

Little-Fizz 01-13-2008 10:49 AM

DIY co2

Ok, so I have a question... I'm thinking about making a co2 system. My question is if I do this... Can I run it through my air stone? Thanks :)

bettababy 01-13-2008 01:50 PM

Running it through an air stone is not a good idea. You would waste a lot of CO2 this way. There are ceramic diffusers and track diffusers available for this.
The problem with using an air stone is that the bubbles get too big, and the CO2 is then wasted. With the track diffuser, the bubble of CO2 has more contact time with the water, thus is more effective without the waste.

Little-Fizz 01-13-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy
Running it through an air stone is not a good idea. You would waste a lot of CO2 this way. There are ceramic diffusers and track diffusers available for this.
The problem with using an air stone is that the bubbles get too big, and the CO2 is then wasted. With the track diffuser, the bubble of CO2 has more contact time with the water, thus is more effective without the waste.

Ah darn, just when I thought it would be easy :P Ok, thanks! Sorry.... But what exactly does a "ceramic diffuser" or "track diffuser" look like? Also I was reading about the co2 messing around with your pH... Is this true? Why? Lol sorry about all the questions! Thanks again!

bettababy 01-13-2008 02:52 PM

When CO2 is added to water it creates an acid. That acid contributes to the lowering of kh and pH. The scientific formula would look like this:
CO2 + H2O -->H2CO3
As for the diffusers, you have choices... here is a good example of a ceramic/glass diffuser
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...0diffuser&Np=1

Track diffusers look like this
http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/pro...01076900020101

Hope this helps!

Little-Fizz 01-14-2008 05:21 AM

Thanks!!! this is helpful.... Lol the glass diffuser costs almost as much as a co2 thing I can buy at my lfs. I'll probably just do that then, it seems less risky then a DIY and hardly different money wise. Thanks again! :D

StickyGreen 02-07-2008 08:06 PM

u can get some airline tubing and a airstone, take a deep breath and blow carbon into the tank :tongue:

bettababy 02-08-2008 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StickyGreen
u can get some airline tubing and a airstone, take a deep breath and blow carbon into the tank :tongue:

If you're planning to do something like that I would suggest staying away from live plants. Even if you sat 24/7 to do it, the co2 we breathe out is not as pure as the co2 in a canister, so it would take a lot more of it to accomplish the same thing.

jaybyrd 02-08-2008 09:43 PM

Hmm...

Something seems to defy all logic bettybaby when you state that an air stone would not work with CO2 in imparting carbon into the water because the bubbles are too big.

The CO2 needs time to allow for the carbon to mix with the water. With the slower amount of CO2 entering the water through the air stone it would need more contact time with the water. The atmospheric oxygen pumped through the air stone at greater quantities allow for the oxygen to be plentiful in the tank at night while the fish and plants still consume this commodity - rather than plants creating it during the day light hours and photosynthesis.

Otherwise I would have some oxygen starved fish in the morning.

:twisted:

tigger 02-09-2008 04:36 AM

An airstone, when used with an airpump, actually doesn't introduce as much oxygen into the tank through the bubble rising through the water - really the introduction of oxygen comes when the bubbles reach the surface. Any surface disturbance will introduce oxygen (and CO2) into the water.

As stated, an airstone used with CO2 really is a very inefficient method of introducing CO2 into the tank.

The best method may depend on what type of CO2 you're using - on a yeast based system a Hagen ladder is a good way (if not very fish safe) or I know a man who used a very small powerhead with the CO2 running into it - the powerhead 'chopped' up the CO2 and dispersed it through the tank.

However a yeast-based system does not usually create enough pressure for a ceramic diffuser so these are best used on a pressurised set up. It might be worth checking eBay for these - I bought 2 diffusers and a drop checker from a seller in Hong Kong for 2pence. Ok so postage (with insurance) cost me 9.98 but that's a grand total of 10 or about $20 for our American cousins which isn't bad for 3 pieces of glassware. They're all doing a sterling job for me!

StickyGreen 02-09-2008 03:00 PM

<---sarcastic 8)