Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   OK, I need some supplies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ok-i-need-some-supplies-108500/)

CodyL1121 07-25-2012 12:34 AM

OK, I need some supplies

Hello!

Long time since I've posted here! Anyways, I'm going to be getting a 29 gallon tank soon. Something I want to do is grow Baby Dwarf Tears (for a carpet) and Dwarf Hairgrass in my tank. Once I get it grown to my liking I will add some fishies!

But, I came back to Tropicalfishkeeping.com because I need some help, and this site was always a great help to me. I am a HUGE newbie and I need to know:

- What type of lighting do I need?
- Can someone link me to an inexpensive C02 thingy that will work fine?
- What type of substrate shall I use?

Thanks for your help! :)

LyzzaRyzz 07-25-2012 01:16 AM

Sand is definitely recommended, though it takes a bit more work in the beginning, but less work later on.

Im not sure about what lighting your plants will need, because it depends on the size/dimensions of your tank.
I have a 45 gal, 24 inches tall, and i have a single t8 bulb, 6500k, and all i can really grow is surface plants. If i added a second bulb, i would be able to, but i dont have enough plugs! =]

From what ive read, CO2 isnt necessarily required, only in some situations, though hopefully someone more educated will come by and help you out!

CodyL1121 07-25-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz (Post 1170421)
Sand is definitely recommended, though it takes a bit more work in the beginning, but less work later on.

Thank you! Any info I can gather will help me before I start setting things up!

kroum 07-25-2012 04:59 AM

Hey, how is it going!

I'm a newbie myself, but quickly ended up with a planted tank and have been looking into cO2... just looking for the moment.

I found the most inexpensive regulator is on amazon. After clicking on the first result, amazon offered me a combo of: CO2 regulator with bubble counter, electronic solenoid and dual gauges, adaptor to paintball tank, said tank, and a diffuser all for $115.

Byron 07-25-2012 11:06 AM

The majority of aquarium plants will do fine without CO2 diffusion. But the substrate "carpets" like Dwarf Hairgrass are not easy plants, and most planted tank hobbyists will agree that these plants do better with CO2. But having said that, some have managed to grow them without.

If CO2 is added, then the light needs to be higher than without in order to balance, and the other nutrients have to be added in greater amounts also to balance. Plants can only photosynthesize if everything they require (sufficient light intensity and all 17 nutrients) is available.

As one who has never bothered with CO2, I can't offer advice on units so I will leave that for the members who have gone down this road.

Byron.

CodyL1121 07-25-2012 10:30 PM

Thank you everyone!

Aqua Jon 07-26-2012 12:34 AM

My experience with HC (dwarf baby tears) and Dwarf Hairgrass was... difficult. I tried in both low light and a micro tank with megawattage and a DIY co2 system. The co2 made a big difference and things started well! However, you must be very attentive to water conditions, because blue green algae was the guillotine to my microtank (2.5g w/ 13w).

However, there are people have done well with the carpet plants. If you've got some experience with planted tanks then try it. It may be a learning experience of hard wisdom or a success story for yourself and others to learn from.