Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Ottos or Corys? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/ottos-corys-10846/)

scottven 01-12-2008 08:30 PM

Ottos or Corys?

I'm planning out a 55 that I'm going to setup this spring and probably going to have a school of zebra danios and one of neon tetras. I'd also like to have either Ottos or Corys hanging out at the bottom. My questions are:

1. Would one get along better with the other fish then the other?

2. Would having one add any different requirements (food, substrate, plants, decorations, maintenance, etc.) then the other?

3. Is there a reason to pick any particular species of either?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Falina 01-12-2008 08:47 PM

Both would be compatable as far as I can see.

Cories need groups of 6 or more for ideal happiness/activity levels whereas otos need 3 or more.

Cories prefer sand but as long as the gravel is smooth and rounded (no sharp edges) they will be fine whereas otos spend much of their time on plants etc so the substrate is less of a concern. No sharp edges is a must for either though.

Both will prefer a planted tank (live plants) though otos spend a lot of their time on the plants so it is more of a concern with them than with the cories.

otos need algae in their diet so you must have a supply of this before you add them, whereas cories won't at algae. Often otos will eat nothing other than algae.

Otos are quite sensitive (some cories are too, it depends on the species) so care must be taken when acclimating thm, though you should acclimate any fish anyway.

Personally I'd go for the cories. They're cute and very active (species dependant again of course). In a 55g you could have a good numer of them which would make them very happy, and very entertaining to watch. teh chouice however is yours, I've just given you some info on them.

you could of course have cories and otos, depending on what else you plan to stock with. I see no reason why you couldn't.

scottven 01-12-2008 09:34 PM

I forgot!

I forgot to add that I'm thinking about Caridina japonica in there too. Other then competition with the Ottos for food, could there be any compatibility problems?

xingumike 01-13-2008 05:36 AM

Oto's won't necessarily spend a lot of time at the bottom, and as mentioned seem to be very hard to keep alive

Corys FTW

tophat665 01-13-2008 10:36 AM

Good article on ottos in last months TFH. Ottos seem to do better in larger schools (7 to 20+). If you look for the right signs when buying, acclimate properly, and make sure there is sufficient algae, they aren't particularly delicate.

That said, if I had room in the tank, I'd go with 7 ottos, 6 cories, and maybe some shrimp. The Shrimp tend to eat hair algae which the ottos won't, and the shrimp will also eat fish food, which the ottos won't.