Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Python faucet pump. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/python-faucet-pump-10845/)

JouteiMike 01-12-2008 07:03 PM

Python faucet pump.

So I was doing my thing the other day with my python...and just after I was finished uncoiling my two hoses I go to turn my faucet on and I realize that the faucet pump is crooked. So I go to tighten it and... :blink: the top part snaps off, leaving the top part that twists on to the treads still on the faucet. Goes to show how plastic parts like that can be very flimsy. It lasted me about 15 months, and I already ordered two more replacement faucet pumps just to have.

How about all you python users out there, how long has your pumps lasted you?

In case you are wondering what exactly the faucet pump is, it's labeled "H".
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/112...ish-supply.jpg

bettababy 01-12-2008 11:18 PM

I've had the same one for the past 5 yrs without issues, and the first one lasted even longer than that. At the store when we used them (daily) they usually lasted about 2 - 3 yrs before we needed to replace them.

herefishy 01-12-2008 11:20 PM

My oldest python is over 6 years old. I have added longer hoses to be able to reach the more distant tanks. The second is just over 4 years old and neither have had any malfunctions woth the faucet pump or connections. They are truly labor saving device, and I would recommend them to everyone who has large tanks or has alot of tanks.

bettababy 01-13-2008 01:37 AM

I just wanted to note that Lance, the owner of Python is a longtime personal friend of mine, and greets me with hugs everytime I see him. We go way back and I know how they do business there. They are always testing, always improving things, and their customer service is top notch. If you've had a problem with a defective product, simply call them and tell them. They're great at taking care of their customers and they know they have great products... unmatched as of yet in the industry for the Python hose. I've tried a lot of the cheaper brands of siphon hoses claiming to be equal or better than python... NOT! If you want cheap plastic go talk to some of those... plus they work for crap.
Python puts out a number of awesome products, and they stand behind them all. When I worked at the store we used to test things for them as they were coming off the production line... and based on our advice and critiques, many of those products were improved before even out on the open market.
The best thing I tell people about python products is that they sell each individual piece, so if by chance something breaks, u can replace just that piece. You'll never have to buy another one if its taken care of, just maintain it over the years as parts do wear from use.
You might also try investing in the brass snap connector, as this saves wear and tear on the plastic parts and makes them last longer, and much easier to use. With the snap connector in place, those parts should last almost forever!

tophat665 01-13-2008 11:03 AM

I've had mine for about 6 months. So long as you don't overtighten or crossthread, there's no reason they shouldn't last practically forever. (Course, sooner or later it will get crossthreaded).

JouteiMike 01-13-2008 11:10 AM

Yeah I figured there'd be longer lasting ones out there.

It's not like I didn't take care of it, for the most part I left it connected on to the faucet without even touching it, except to just twist the bottom up and down. I would think that would reduce wear on it.

Oh well, I'm sure these 2 replacements will last me a long time.