Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   schooling fish ideas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/schooling-fish-ideas-108375/)

Joe1985 07-23-2012 10:57 PM

schooling fish ideas

Im in need of ideas of schooling fish to add into my 60 gallon tank, they have to co exist with angels and i believe neons are in the wild their food? so that crosses them off, any other ideas? must be colorul

stevenjohn21 07-23-2012 11:50 PM

i have rummynose tetras with my angels, great looking fish !

nawilson89 07-24-2012 12:04 AM

Rummynose Tetra are an excellent choice! I've read that they stay more closely schooled then other tetra and the minute i find them locally I'm buying my own :-)!

Jayy 07-24-2012 12:15 AM

Diamond Tetra are great!

thekoimaiden 07-24-2012 11:02 AM

I second the rummynose tetra idea. They are a gorgeous little fish. Some of the other deeper-bodied tetra like pristella tetra, bleeding heart tetra, and black neon tetra would look really nice, too. Click on the shaded name to see pictures.

Byron 07-24-2012 02:24 PM

Genderally speaking, the deeper-bodied characins are best, rather than the linear-bodied species. The other factor is the size of the angels and the characins, both initially and at maturity.

A full grown angelfish at 6 inches body length will easily consume--or try to--most linear tetra, certainly when the characins are young, and some when mature. Rummynose fall into this group, as do neons, cardinals, black neons, glowlights, loreto, many of the pencilfish, etc. This is a generalization.

Better choices are the disk-shaped characins such as the rosy clade in Hyphessobrycon. Some of these can be fin nippers though. Rosy Tetra, Roberts Tetra, the two phantoms, are all suitable. Outside the rosy clade, there is the Diamond Tetra someone mentioned, Hemigrammus pulcher, the Flame Tetra, and some others. Look for deep-body, peaceful, and not too active swimming. Hatchetfish for the surface usually work, if the larger species like the Silver Hatchetfish.

Byron.

Joe1985 07-24-2012 07:04 PM

alot of those are fairly dull though apart from the flame tetra..

Joe1985 07-24-2012 07:34 PM

what about glow light tetra? or are they thin bodied?

Jayy 07-24-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe1985 (Post 1169965)
what about glow light tetra? or are they thin bodied?

They're pretty much the same size of a neon. You can't always judge a fish be first glance, some the most beautiful starts as Diamonds in the ruff. You just have to give the right conditions and best food at here.:-D Bleeding Heart Tetra and Congo Tetra are nice larger Tetra.

amazon21 07-24-2012 07:54 PM

If put the tetras in first, and give them some time to grow, then add the juvenile angels, you could get away with fish as small as the neon tetra.