Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ponds and Waterfalls (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/)
-   -   How to prevent mosquitoe's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/how-prevent-mosquitoes-108294/)

GreyHounD 07-23-2012 08:08 AM

How to prevent mosquitoe's

I need help I have a home made pond using plastic and wood, and a tub/big bucket.
All is unfiltered..

But my parents are trying to get rid of them because they might cause dengue..
Mosquitoe's-> dengue -> sick people at home...

Ugh..:shock:

how can I prevent Mosquitoe's from over breeding/ Fully growing up?

I have 1 tub with snakehead and oscar in it
a pond with 15 mollies
a pond with 4 fighting fish 2 male and 2 female ..

Romad 07-23-2012 08:35 AM

You could try a bug zapper or if you have the right conditions, a bat house.

Some of the bug zappers use heat and carbon dioxide to attract the mosquitos (same as what attracts them to us humans) but they can be a little pricey.

You'll have to do some research on what would be best for you. Hopefully, some members with ponds will jump in here.

Good luck.

amazon21 07-23-2012 08:53 AM

Add fish that eat mosquitoes i.e rosy red minnows, white cloud mountain minnows, mosquito fish. Other than that i dont know of any other way to get rid of them.

EDIT: I see in your signature that you have mollies and betta's. These fish devour mosquito larvae, so it shouldnt be a problem. Oscar's will also eat mosquito larvae while they're young. Im not sure about the snakehead though.

GreyHounD 07-23-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazon21 (Post 1167712)
Add fish that eat mosquitoes i.e rosy red minnows, white cloud mountain minnows, mosquito fish. Other than that i dont know of any other way to get rid of them.

EDIT: I see in your signature that you have mollies and betta's. These fish devour mosquito larvae, so it shouldnt be a problem. Oscar's will also eat mosquito larvae while they're young. Im not sure about the snakehead though.

My oscar is like 10 inches big already.. I guess he's not gonna eat them no more ..

I place 3 fish in the big container, a jumping perch adult size, a snakehead 10" long and a oscar fish 10 inches long too..

Can you tell me the name of the mosquito fish? or is it really called mosquito fish?

amazon21 07-23-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyHounD (Post 1167761)
My oscar is like 10 inches big already.. I guess he's not gonna eat them no more ..

I place 3 fish in the big container, a jumping perch adult size, a snakehead 10" long and a oscar fish 10 inches long too..

Can you tell me the name of the mosquito fish? or is it really called mosquito fish?

They're called mosquito fish, the problem is that they only grow about 2.5 inches max, so they'd likely get eaten by your bigger fish. Here is some info about them. Gambusia affinis (Western Mosquitofish) — Seriously Fish

amazon21 07-23-2012 11:41 AM

If you dont see any mosquito larvae in the water, then its likely that your oscar is eating them. Mosquito larvae are about the same size as a bloodworm, if your oscar still accepts food that size, it's probably eating the mosquito larvae as well.

Varkolak 07-23-2012 12:36 PM

blood worms are mosquito larva, and nearly every fish will eat them so if you have fish in there you wont have issues. May I ask where you live? I'm worried about you keeping a snakehead in an outside container, its highly illegal to keep one at all in America as well as most of the world where they are not native and keeping it outside is just asking for it to escape.

GreyHounD 07-23-2012 04:29 PM

I live in the Philippines no worries the container is like 12 inches higher than the water.

I just leave the rain gutter to fill the container.

and thanks guys for passing by the thread at least I clarified some things.

So my betta pond is like 5 ft long and 6 inches high, but with just 4 betta's do you think it might cause the problem? I know the molly tank will be fine just worried bout the betta cause its a long tank and 3 of the betta's are still immature/young.

amazon21 07-23-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyHounD (Post 1168265)
I live in the Philippines no worries the container is like 12 inches higher than the water.

I just leave the rain gutter to fill the container.

and thanks guys for passing by the thread at least I clarified some things.

So my betta pond is like 5 ft long and 6 inches high, but with just 4 betta's do you think it might cause the problem? I know the molly tank will be fine just worried bout the betta cause its a long tank and 3 of the betta's are still immature/young.

Mosquito larvae are a betta's natural diet. They will eat any that show up very quick.

GreyHounD 07-24-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazon21 (Post 1168543)
Mosquito larvae are a betta's natural diet. They will eat any that show up very quick.

Thank you! I guess that'll prove mom wrong! :)

I just now need to get rid of the snakehead and oscar..