Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   The big tank debate, 50g vs 50g?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/big-tank-debate-50g-vs-50g-108259/)

nawilson89 07-22-2012 11:40 PM

The big tank debate, 50g vs 50g??

So everyone I have 2 50 gallon tanks. One is long and tall where the other is medium and wide. I only have one tank in use at the moment. The long and tall one. In a few months I will be moving and will have enough room to set both tanks up.

So what I am getting at is what should i stock in each tank.

I have Glowlight Tetra and Head and Tail Light tetra. Should I have those in the taller tank? Glowlights tend to stay near the lower third where the Head and Tail Lights stay in the middle. I would think to have them in the taller tank to give them some room and also add my wifes female betta for the top portion of the tank ( there are only two and i know they should have more in the sorority, but at this time i dont have access to healthy females plus those two leave each other alone).

For the lower tank I was thinking my two Bolivian Rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) and maybe add some more. My wife also has a single Angel fish who would be in that tank. The rams stay near the substrate (sand of course xD) and the Angel fish doesn't really dwell in that area. I was thinking Silver Hatchetfish for the top levels.

Thoughts?

Tigris 07-23-2012 12:06 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Geomancer 07-23-2012 07:12 AM

I would stock the one with a smaller length with any slow and sedate fish you plan to have. Active swimmers will like the longer length.

As for Bettas, I never like seeing them in a community tank. Their temperment is awful towards others, and even if they're friendly 'most of the time' their pressence alone is enough to stress other fish.

GwenInNM 07-23-2012 07:51 AM

Myself, having one female Betta in my community tank, with a female Gourami, dwarf neons, a Bolivian Ram and various loaches, I say you should put the female in your tank.

Mine is just great. Very friendly, doesn't bother anyone and is so happy in the tank. I can't even imagine her living in a bowl, like they are often kept in.

I think it's the male Bettas that are the aggressive ones with other fish.

Gwen

nawilson89 07-24-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1167655)
Myself, having one female Betta in my community tank, with a female Gourami, dwarf neons, a Bolivian Ram and various loaches, I say you should put the female in your tank.

Mine is just great. Very friendly, doesn't bother anyone and is so happy in the tank. I can't even imagine her living in a bowl, like they are often kept in.

I think it's the male Bettas that are the aggressive ones with other fish.

Gwen

Oh my females are in the tank. I can't bare having them in little bowls. Once I am able to have both tanks running I plan on adding more for a sorority. I think i have everyone sectioned out to where I want them.