Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Yellow labs. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/yellow-labs-108208/)

donnie 07-22-2012 04:36 PM

Yellow labs.

I have five yellow labs one is a female and is the domanate one in the tank. she is now about three inches insize. I have herd that the male will vibrate infront of the female to get her interested... however in this case its the female not the males. a moment ago she trapped a male on one of the caves and started to vibrate. she at times will follow a male around the tank. however she has yet to lay any eggs.
Posted via Mobile Device

donnie 07-22-2012 04:41 PM

btw i havent updated it in my profile but my cichlids are in a fifty five gallon tank now. my adult mollie and platy females share a thirty six gallon bow front and my male mollie and platies share a ten gallon. i have three other ten gallon tanks which house the fry that have been born.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazman 07-22-2012 10:16 PM

If the female is older than the males then yes she will display by shimmering in front of the males. Chances are you will not see any eggs as they are mouthbrooders and usually the female scooping the eggs into her Bucchal cavity happens very fast if the male is interested.

Keep an eye on the female as she can harass the males enough to stress them out if they are not ready to breed with her.

Brandonl87 07-23-2012 10:02 AM

So when Mbuna Shimmer or Vibriant infront of each other is a sign of them wanting to breed? I didnt think the female would do that.

Tazman 07-23-2012 02:55 PM

+1 Yes, they will do that and it can as mentioned be the female initiating it of she is ready to breed.

Do you know for sure that she is female? Yellow labs like most mbuna are hard to sex accurately unless you either buy them already sexed or vent them.

MrMarc 07-27-2012 02:04 PM

You may want to vent or have somebody else vent the fish. Because if you have 5 yellow labs and only 1 female, when the males mature that poor female will be so worn out she won't know what to do. But the behavior is definitely that of a male (which as previously stated a female can display). Don't go by the markings of the fish. If there can be males with no so defined black on the fin and females with very defined black on the fins...it really depends on the genetic strain.

donnie 07-29-2012 03:00 AM

I got it wrong since all the others have egg spots on there anal fins. I have one dominate male and he is the one shimmering. I got two more yellows yesterday and one is a male. I now have five females and two males. the last few days the dominate male has been after one of the sub dominate females but she ignores him... the dominate female keeps trying to get his attention but he dosnt seen to like her. he is almost a light orange yellow and the same with the female he wants... the dominate female is lemmon yellow and seems not to be his first choice. due to rhis the dominate female started to kinda stand up to the domanate male and also interupts any chance between the male and the other female.
Posted via Mobile Device

donnie 07-29-2012 03:13 AM

I really dont think that any will really breed though as the pictus catfish have compleate rule of the tank. they are unruley and keep all the cichlids from choosing a stable location. all sites list pictus cats as peacefull but i would call them highly aggressive. cichlids are no match for them.
Posted via Mobile Device

MrMarc 07-29-2012 08:06 AM

See if you can post pictures. I've never seen an almost Orange Electric Yellow Lab. FYI...Egg spots don't always indicate male or female...Females can have egg spots as well.

Tazman 07-29-2012 09:55 AM

Egg spots are indeed no indication of sex. The only 100% positive way is to vent them.

Pictus are not the best tank mates for mbuna for the very reason you mentioned. They can get rather bossy, a more sedate species to house with mbuna is BN plecos or synodontis species such as Multipunctus.