Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Bubbles

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  fish_4_all 
#1 ·
I know this may sound like a dumb question, but this has never happened to my tank before. For the past week both of my tanks are covered in bubbles across the top of the water. What is causing this? As soon as I drop food in, the bubbles disappear.

#2 ·
From what I know it is caused by dissolved solids. Water changes will help solve them. I also got them allt he time in my snail tank but I also had the water extremely high in pH, GH and KH so there was alot of solids in the water.

If it helps, I have never seen an adverse effect to the fish.

#3 ·
So what exactly is dissolved solids? i'm still new to the whole fish life, and I learn something new everyday.

One of my tanks have 6 snails in it. Is that to many? The 2nd tank only has 2 female dal. mollies who have just breed.

But I will do a water change today, and see if that helps.

#4 ·
I am not sure what all is considered a dissolved solid. My guess would be anything that is fairly inert that simly dissolves in the water. Anyhting that has any kind of cohesion to it could cause bubbles. Fish waste that doesn't break dwon in the normal cycle of things. Food coloring, fish scales that dissolve, anything really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.