Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (
-   -   Do I need a glass cover for my Metal Halide Lighting? (

Big Willy 01-11-2008 05:00 PM

Do I need a glass cover for my Metal Halide Lighting?

I am installing a 250w metal halide light in my hood. I want to fabricate my own reflector. I have seen a few reflector projects online and one of them mentions tempered glass to block UV radiation so I don't kill fish and coral. I have only seen this statement once. How important is it that I have the glass? Another option is to buy a halogen light, gut it, and put my metal halide bulb in it. I like the idea however, I am not having any luck finding a halogen light large enough to will fit my mogul socket and bulb ( Iwasaki MT250DL ). With the bulb screwed in the socket, it is almost 11 inches long.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

herefishy 01-11-2008 07:15 PM

Although I am not a saltwater keeper, I am familiar with lighting. I would recommend using a glass as a protective device on your fixtrure. The applicatin would be mostly as a safty measure. If water would hit the hot bulb, th ebulb may explode. It would also protect you from being burnt. As far as any uv inhibiting, I cannot answer.

You do not want to sub a halogen for the halide. First of all, the ballasts are quite unique to each individual application. They are not interchangeable. If are gutting one fixture, you will have to change everyhing. There are retrofit packs available from suppliers such as and . It would be worth a look.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome