Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Molly pregnant for sooo long??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/molly-pregnant-sooo-long-10808/)

JoJo99 01-11-2008 02:23 PM

Molly pregnant for sooo long???

I bought some dalmation mollies 3 1/2 weeks ago. One of them was noticibly pregnant. After a week she seemed to be getting so huge so I put her in a breeding box for about 4 days. She didn't seem to mind being in there at all, but nothing happened. I decided to let her out and take my chances rather than stress her out. She is happy and eating well but getting bigger every day. My question is, How long are Mollies Pregnant? She was already obese when I got her, and it's been another 25 days. It looks like her belly is practicvally pushing into her gills. yet there is no gravid spot, or see-through area. Could she be sick and happy? Or are mollies pregnant for 2 months sometimes? What is up with this happy little fat girl??? Also, I set up a 10 gal fry tank using 100% vaccum water (and 1 cup of gravel) from the main tank, however the fry tank has a new filter. Can I still put the Molly in there to have her babies...if there are babies? I bought some stuff called "Cycle" but I'm hesitant to put it in there. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!

fish_4_all 01-11-2008 02:52 PM

4-7 weeks, no one seems to know for certain, hopefully osme one here does.

As for when she will drop the babies, look for the "squaring off" of her abdomen. It is hard to explain but the part toward her hinny will start to look almost squared off instead of rounded. Once this hapens you will be really close.

As for breeder boxes, unless oyu have a really big one I don't like them. Too many times I have used the boxes and the mother aborted all the babies. I now use a breeder net with some anachris in it. The bottom has a piece of plastic canvas in it to let the babies slip through so momma doesn't eat them. I used two net breeders to make mine, will find a picture if I still have it.

JoJo99 01-11-2008 03:36 PM

Molly Pregnant sooo long?

Thank you so much for the reply, but I am still not sure about using the 10 gallon I described. And does that product called Cycle really work. Would I need to use that since I filled the tank with used water from my other tank?
Thank you so very much!

fish_4_all 01-11-2008 10:27 PM

First, the 10 gallon may work fine for the fry but make sure to keep up with water changes. Ammonia will wipe them out quickly. Water changes willhelp and the favt you are adding cycled water will also help a lot. Just make sure to continually change out water with the cycled water and tap water. 50:50 should work and not cause too much of cycle problem.

As for the Cycle products, they may or may not work but do not depend on them to solve a cycle. They can also give you false readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If you need to use them then do it, it can not hurt but they will never replace water changes and proper care. The best thing you can do is to take some media out of old filter and put it in the one for the 10 gallon tank. This is the best way to get beneficial bacteria in tank.