Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Vanishing Corys (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/vanishing-corys-108031/)

Molinious 07-20-2012 08:03 PM

Vanishing Corys

Origionally i had 5 peppered corys yet in 6 weeks 3 have vanished! Only after ripping my tank apart did i find 1 mutilated body. Is it normal for them to vanish like that? I havent got any real predators in with them, all quiet fish. No fish are showing any signs of illness including the last 2 corys. I will restock the group so they are more comfortable.

AndrewM21 07-20-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molinious (Post 1164456)
Origionally i had 5 peppered corys yet in 6 weeks 3 have vanished! Only after ripping my tank apart did i find 1 mutilated body. Is it normal for them to vanish like that? I havent got any real predators in with them, all quiet fish. No fish are showing any signs of illness including the last 2 corys. I will restock the group so they are more comfortable.

What fish do you have in there exactly?

Molinious 07-20-2012 08:09 PM

Congo tetras, rummynose tetras, yoyo, gbn plec and crs with the corys

can also be seen on the link below

AndrewM21 07-20-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molinious (Post 1164464)
Congo tetras, rummynose tetras, yoyo, gbn plec and crs with the corys

can also be seen on the link below

None of which should cause a problem. I know I found my chinese algae eaters in pretty much the same boat as your corys a while back and it was my redtail sharks murdering them. I got rid of them though.

Have you lost any of your other fish aside from the Corys? It does sound very odd that if it was an illness that only your Corys would be affected.

Molinious 07-20-2012 08:13 PM

Nope nothing else has died at all in that aquarium, and the other 2 corys are doing great

dave56 07-20-2012 08:23 PM

I would be suspicious of the Yoyo. They can be a tad mean after the lights go out.especially if kept singularly. I had one way back in the early days of keeping fish that was a cory killer.:evil:

Molinious 07-20-2012 08:31 PM

Thanks for that the yoyo is only singular due to the other commiting suicide and havent replaced, i have noticed it bothering the congos with the lights on so maybe he needs to go to my lfs for a bit of credit.. A total swine to catch tho!!!

I prefer the corys to the yoyo anyway, the yoyos antics of swimming in circles is getting a bit annoying especially to the other fish

Ogre44 07-20-2012 08:55 PM

I had to get rid of my bristlenose pleco after she decided that the corys were in her space and started chasing them all over the tank.
They'd hide in the corner and she'd swim around until she found them and then drive them all over the place.

Byron 07-21-2012 03:57 PM

Sometimes substrate fish must be carefully selected. While it does not apply to corys, most others are territorial in varying degrees and this can manifest itself in pushing or more seriously in attacking.

On the loach, unless you can get a group of five, I would return it. Loach are highly social fish, as much or more than corys, and a group is essential. Lack of this interaction can make any loach aggressive, so this may be part of the problem too. And as someone mentioned, they can nip fins of some upper fish; this varies with species, but if you read our profile of the Yoyo loach [click the shaded name] it does mention this species fin nipping long-finned fish.

While the above applies, it could have been something else that initially killed the corys. The peppered cory is fairly robust though, but still be careful in acclimating them.

Byron.