Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   New FAntail Goldfish and 46 gallon Aquaeon Fish Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/new-fantail-goldfish-46-gallon-aquaeon-108017/)

Ashtreelogger 07-20-2012 06:01 PM

New FAntail Goldfish and 46 gallon Aquaeon Fish Tank

So My Grandma went out the other day and got this huge Aquaeon Fish Tank to put my Goldfish in next month after my mom and I move into the new house so can't wait to set this tank up and on top of that I got a pretty white Fantail to go with my other goldfish (only one that survived from the other two) they are housed in a 5 gallon but once in the 46 gallon i'm going to add a few new fish in the 5 gallon and maybe a ghost shrimp so i'm very excited.if you guys have any suggestion on how to maintain this tank let me know were still getting air pumps,air stones,bubbles ect ect for it this thing is just so big i'm still wondering how I should approach cleaning it XD.also please don't tell me goldfish need this much space,they are dirty fish comets and fantails don't get along which is a lie i put those two together and they are already best friends though i think he comet is still warming up to him trust me I've HEARD it all about goldfish already i'm well aware of how to take care of them.

the 46 gallon tank:

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/v...93511987_n.jpg

the fantail:

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/v...ero/IMG359.jpg

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/v...ero/IMG353.jpg

the comet:

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/v...ero/IMG350.jpg

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/v...ero/IMG349.jpg

jayla2251 08-07-2012 09:53 PM

If you were so aware of Goldfish you wouldn't have them in a 5g.

Thank god your grandma bought a tank big enough for two, Yes, just two goldfish.

It's not that comets and fancy's "don't get along" its that they require differant set ups. Comets get larger and need more space, which is usually a pond. They are also much faster then fancies.

If all those are "lies" then the internet must have no real information on goldfish right? And it's all made up?

You had some die? Did you know goldies can live for 20+ years?

Ashtreelogger 08-08-2012 01:34 AM

yes i do know they live for 20 years and up if raised properly after i asked for advice when the surving comet got sick the first time and i nursed it back to health i've been playing musical tanks with my goldfish they went from a 2.5 gallon to a 5 gallon to a temporary 10 gallon to ensure they have some room before i move and at the end of this month they are going in the 45 gallon i ment to put 45 gallon not 46 didn't see the size til i reread the logo again.The people who had helped me with advice understood that on these threads.

did you even read it through carefully i asked for advice on how to maintain this giant tank or what would be a good way to approve it.god i hate fish people who get but hurt and yell at people who think other are being irresposible. so don't scold me. and a recap don't tell me Goldfish need this much space,they are dirty fish comets and fantails don't get along which is a lie i put those two together and they are already best friends though i think he comet is still warming up to him trust me I've HEARD it all about Goldfish already i'm well aware of how to take care of them that's FROM the advice i got from people helping me and telling me how to take care of them.yes two fish died of swim bladder so don't say or think or assume i'm a terrible fish owner.i know they aren't suppose to be in a small tank that's why i said i was excited to get them in a bigger tank so that it didn't happen again! ONCE I MOVE! cause at the time I did have the space or funds for the giant tank to get them out of there! and 'm not putting the comet in a pond

if your just gonna insult me buy saying the replies you did then have a nice day i'm sure someone else will actually take this in a calmer manner and no go thank god so so and so got this tank that sounded insulting

Ashtreelogger 08-08-2012 01:34 AM

i simply ask for advice on the tank and i get this sheesh

jayla2251 08-08-2012 03:38 AM

I didn't yell. And never got *butt hurt. You are the one who said you knew it all on them, while not keeping them in very good conditions. I imagine that's why no one responded to the thread? Honestly, it annoys me when people ignore others advice. And since you mentioned other people have told you how to keep Goldies and you don't agree with it.

If you want good maintenance then keep up with lots of water changes. Even with the bigger tank. You all should look into a pyhton or similar siphons that hook up to your water supply which make water changes really easy. I've kept goldfish for awhile, and they do create a lot of waste. That's why water changes every couple days are important. And with one of those systems you can easily do a 50% or so water change without having to life a bucket.

Ashtreelogger 08-08-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayla2251 (Post 1189926)
I didn't yell. And never got *butt hurt. You are the one who said you knew it all on them, while not keeping them in very good conditions. I imagine that's why no one responded to the thread? Honestly, it annoys me when people ignore others advice. And since you mentioned other people have told you how to keep Goldies and you don't agree with it.

If you want good maintenance then keep up with lots of water changes. Even with the bigger tank. You all should look into a pyhton or similar siphons that hook up to your water supply which make water changes really easy. I've kept goldfish for awhile, and they do create a lot of waste. That's why water changes every couple days are important. And with one of those systems you can easily do a 50% or so water change without having to life a bucket.

actually i did listen and didn't ignore their advice i listened very carefully i just said and i qoute that i didn't want a repeat of everything about goldfish cause i knew from people telling me. i didn't say oh i know goldfish like the back of my hand no,I just DIDN'T and i repeat didn't want to hear it again cause i heard it already and i did tell my family that we needed a bigger tank they were the ones who agreed that since we're moving that we would get one and we did cause i actually knew we need a larger tank i just didn't have the funds back then when they were in the 5 gallon tank right now i moved the betta in the 5 gallon and the goldfish in a temporay 10 gallon til the end of the month and they are fine and healthy and no they won't be there forever guppies and some other fish and a ghostie shrimp are go in inthe 10ngallon once they goldies move to the bigger tank oh i forgots to add that the comet and fantail eat together so even though one is faster i do make sure they both get a fare share the fantail in a funny way is the first to get the food before comet even though those two barely leave eachothers side when i go by the tank but and i think the comet knows the fantail is a bit slower so (s)he lets him eat first even though (s)he's a bit bigger by a few inches or centimeters can't tell the comet's size yet.i wasn't purposely trying to keep them in bad conditions if you look baclk on my other threads you can tell i was freaking out cause i care for these guys a lot and treat all my fishies like children.the swim blladder disease that two got couldn't be helped when they passed away one i sstill suspect was ill when i bought it from a another pet store then one i won at a fare so i had no idea where that one came from the one i got from petsmart the fantail has been preety active and health and the comet got sick when it was in the 2.5 but is now healthy and the betta who had been in the 2.5 after playing musical tank lost his fins do to fin biting( no the goldfish weren't in there with him) and is recoverying in the 5 gallon since i give him betta fix every day

other than that thank you for somewhat advice on the 45 gallon tank that's all i wanted to know with anything aditional was all

thekoimaiden 08-10-2012 03:32 PM

If you don't have a filter yet, I highly recommend the Aquaclear series because they are one of the few HOB filters that can keep up with the goldfish mess. One Aquaclear 70 should hold your tank. I've got two on my 55 gallon. If you've already bought a regular filter, I would recommend getting a second one. A lot of regular filters just don't provide enough surface area for the needed colonies of bacteria. Ideally a canister filter is best, but those are expensive.

For water changes you're looking at a minimum of 50% each week; any less and you will have trouble keeping the nitrate in check. The python water changing system has saved by back (and sanity) with water changes. If you only make one other purchase with this tank, you should get the water change system; it's that good. Aqueon also makes a similar system, but I have never used it an cannot speak to its reliability. and These are links to them on Amazon as I don't know what stores you have around you.

My final recommendation for a larger tank is get a bottle of Prime water conditioner. Now that you will be making large water changes, you're going to be using a lot of water conditioner. Prime is one of the most concentrated on the market, and a bottle should last you a long time.

Ashtreelogger 08-10-2012 04:40 PM

how do those water chaners work exactly i was looking aat a few and it looka ao confusing do i hook it up to my sink and change the water from there or does it drain the water that i need to take out cause i use a gravel vaccum thing is so iff sometimes though

thekoimaiden 08-10-2012 06:52 PM

They aren't the easiest things to work. You screw the attachment thingy (I literally have no clue what it is called) into the sink. It also has a place to screw in the hose that you put into the tank. The bottom of the attachment thingy moves. If you turn it one way, it allows water to come out of the bottom. This creates suction on the hose and pulls water from the tank. If you turn it the other way, any water that goes into the attachment thingy will be sent back to the tank. I was rather confused the first few times I used it, too. But some trial and error and some youtube videos went a long way to helping to me understand it. It's made the 60 or so gallons I change a week much easier to handle.

Ashtreelogger 08-11-2012 01:12 AM

sounds very confusing o.o