Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   stocking a 24 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/stocking-24-gallon-tank-107797/)

fishybert 07-18-2012 09:38 PM

stocking a 24 gallon tank

hi peeps,

i currently have the ff in my 24 gallon:

2 x german blue rams
2 x class K endlers
1 x white could mountain minnow

i'm planning to add something that occupies the high and mid level portions of the tank. The endlers do keep things quite lively, so one option is to get some more.

i'm not that keen on tetras...i just found them a little too..."twitchy". Plus i have to get them in a group, which may take up a lot of space in the tank.

Hatchet fish...nah, don't like jumpers :)

i'm thinking about apistos, but am looking for ones that have max. size of 2 inches. Any suggestions? tia

sidluckman 07-19-2012 12:56 AM

I would rethink the stocking of this tank. Both white clouds and Endlers prefer cooler and harder water than your rams.

I also think that one pair of cichlids, however small, is plenty for a tank of this size. If you were stocking a 40 gallon breeder tank or 40 long, I wouldn't hesitate.

I believe warm water schoolers, like cardinals, would be a good fit.I am also a big fan of Espei and Harlequin rasboras, both of which can take temperatures around 80F and come from similar water as Rams. Espeis in particular are brilliantly colored and I have found them to be hardy even in our 7.6+ pH water here in Illinois. They stay quite a bit smaller than harlequins too, so a school of ten or so wouldn't be out of the question. I have not found these species to be "nippy" in the manner of many tetras. Possibly cory cats or an ancistrus, too.

Just thinking "out loud." Good luck finding the "magical" combination!

fishybert 07-19-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidluckman (Post 1161768)
I would rethink the stocking of this tank. Both white clouds and Endlers prefer cooler and harder water than your rams.

I also think that one pair of cichlids, however small, is plenty for a tank of this size. If you were stocking a 40 gallon breeder tank or 40 long, I wouldn't hesitate.

I believe warm water schoolers, like cardinals, would be a good fit.I am also a big fan of Espei and Harlequin rasboras, both of which can take temperatures around 80F and come from similar water as Rams. Espeis in particular are brilliantly colored and I have found them to be hardy even in our 7.6+ pH water here in Illinois. They stay quite a bit smaller than harlequins too, so a school of ten or so wouldn't be out of the question. I have not found these species to be "nippy" in the manner of many tetras. Possibly cory cats or an ancistrus, too.

Just thinking "out loud." Good luck finding the "magical" combination!

yeah, my old tank was more asian biotope than anything else. When i discovered GBRs being sold at my LFS, that's when i though about setting up an amazon/south american tank.

i will definitely think about your suggestions dude. Not sure if we have any espeis here though

sidluckman 07-19-2012 07:26 AM

The espeis I have I got by mistake. I ordered a school of 12 harlequins from LiveAquaria and four of the fish they sent were espeis. I have to say, despite my irritation at being sent the wrong species, these are gorgeous little fish and seem to get along with their larger cousins.Now I wish they would have had all espeis!

My 29 gallon tank is all asian. Along with the rasboras there are a couple small rainbowfish, YoYo loaches and a flying fox. The plants are anubias and crypts.

Good luck.