Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Anubias questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/anubias-questions-107783/)

marshallsea 07-18-2012 06:14 PM

Anubias questions
 
How can I tell if my Anubias is getting too much light? Does it hurt if I never break the separate leaves apart?

Byron 07-18-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1161144)
How can I tell if my Anubias is getting too much light? Does it hurt if I never break the separate leaves apart?

In direct light that is on the bright side, brush algae usually forms on the leaves of Anubias and this can smother the plant in time. Kept in partial shade, as by floating plants, it should be OK.

Can you explain the second question? Are you talking about the rhizome?

marshallsea 07-18-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1161178)
In direct light that is on the bright side, brush algae usually forms on the leaves of Anubias and this can smother the plant in time. Kept in partial shade, as by floating plants, it should be OK.

Can you explain the second question? Are you talking about the rhizome?

Yes, Bryon, I have about 8 rhizomes in one section.

Byron 07-18-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1161182)
Yes, Bryon, I have about 8 rhizomes in one section.

I'm still puzzled. The rhizome is the thick "stem" from which all the roots and leaves grow as the rhizome gets longer.

marshallsea 07-18-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1161189)
I'm still puzzled. The rhizome is the thick "stem" from which all the roots and leaves grow as the rhizome gets longer.

Sorry, the thick stem of which I speak is a long group of knots. Each one has a leaf and some roots. Should I separate these knots or leave them as a whole?

Byron 07-18-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1161193)
Sorry, the thick stem of which I speak is a long group of knots. Each one has a leaf and some roots. Should I separate these knots or leave them as a whole?

You can separate them (break or cut the rhizome) provided each section then has a couple leaves and some roots.

marshallsea 07-18-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1161205)
You can separate them (break or cut the rhizome) provided each section then has a couple leaves and some roots.

Thanks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2