Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   10 gallon choice - what do you think? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/10-gallon-choice-what-do-you-107719/)

grannyfish 07-18-2012 09:23 AM

10 gallon choice - what do you think?

I am currently cycling a 10 gallon tank.

I would like to get feedback about what to ultimately stock it with. I have a good number of plants in it now with black sand and a nice piece natural wood.

Would this be reasonable:

2 honey gouramis
8-10 Celestial pearl danios
3 kuhli loaches OR 3 of the smallest cory cats

what do you think??

Chesh 07-18-2012 11:42 AM

I think that this would be overstocked in a 10 gallon tank. . . You might be able to get away with a pair of Dwarf Gourami. . . but not with everything else, I don't think. Kuhli do best in groups of 6, and need a longer tank than a 10g, and Dannio are also very active and though you might be able to pull it off, they'd really be happier in a longer tank. . .

Also, do you know what type of water you have - if the water in your tap is hard or soft makes a big difference in what type of fish will do best for you. Gourami and Kuhli prefer softer water, while I think that Danio like it a bit on the harder side.

I'm new at this, too, and not the best to give advice on stocking - I'm sure someone else will be by who can give you better direction. Check out AQAdvisor.com - it's a site where you can put in what you want to stock, and it will let you know some of the possible problems that may occur. It's not 100% perfect, but it's nice to use as a guide.

Great work getting the tank cycled and ready to go, and doing research on the fish before buying! :-D Makes me very happy! I can't wait to see what you end up with - good luck!

allaboutfish 07-18-2012 11:46 AM

to give you an idea, in my 10 gallon i have
6-cpds
1-male endler
6-pygmy corys (although i can only find 4 at a time)
this is fully stocked, i would take out 2 cpds and add atleast one more pygmy cory. kuhlis need a larger tank.

tweet0302 07-20-2012 02:25 PM

I have one dal molly i want to put in two more dalmation mollys, 1 blk molly, corys,1 bottom feeder i have two small live plants is this a good idea cuz I'm new to the tank hobby
Posted via Mobile Device

allaboutfish 07-20-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweet0302 (Post 1163878)
I have one dal molly i want to put in two more dalmation mollys, 1 blk molly, corys,1 bottom feeder i have two small live plants is this a good idea cuz I'm new to the tank hobby
Posted via Mobile Device

depending on the bottom feeder and corys all of those fish will probably be too active/ large to be in a 10 gallon

tweet0302 07-20-2012 02:53 PM

The guy at store said get oto i think this that's what it's called or can you tell me what will be the best bottom feeder
Posted via Mobile Device

Pearl2011 07-20-2012 02:59 PM

Otos need to be in groups of 6, I believe ans should only be introduced to a matured tank with lots of algae.
Pet store people aren't always that reliable.

tweet0302 07-20-2012 03:04 PM

So what kind of fish can i put in with 2 dalmation ,1 blk mollies,1 bottom feeder
Posted via Mobile Device

Chesh 07-20-2012 03:19 PM

I have Mollies - I love them, and I tried to start off with a 10g, too. . . fact is that Mollies need a minimum of 20 gallons to be kept happily, a 10g tank is too small for them. . . I'm really sorry to say. If you have one Molly and ONLY one Molly, and no other tanks, and no way to return or give away the Molly or get a bigger tank, I'd have to say that you shouldn't add anything else into this tank until you find it a new home or a larger tank. . .

Byron 07-25-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyfish (Post 1160443)
I am currently cycling a 10 gallon tank.

I would like to get feedback about what to ultimately stock it with. I have a good number of plants in it now with black sand and a nice piece natural wood.

Would this be reasonable:

2 honey gouramis
8-10 Celestial pearl danios
3 kuhli loaches OR 3 of the smallest cory cats

what do you think??

I would not have Honey Gourami in a 10g. Same goes for kuhli loach. The Celestial Pearl Danio are fine on their own, or with the corys but increase the cory group to no less than 8 or 9 (of the "dwarf" species). More info in the profiles, click shaded names.

Byron.