Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   I'm Getting Rid Of My Wood (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/im-getting-rid-my-wood-107715/)

equatics 07-18-2012 07:53 AM

I'm Getting Rid Of My Wood

The wood in my 20" 10 gallon tank is taking up a good 1/3 of the substrate prime real estate that's lit top to bottom, and I've decided to relieve the tank's plant population of it after 4 months. As always with big changes, I get a liittle worried that I'm doing the right thing. I'm accepting any comments.

Steven

Inga 07-18-2012 08:03 AM

Depends on the type of fish you have in a tank. Some really enjoy the wood. In a 10 gallon, space is certainly limited so a very small piece is nice. That said, most bottom feeding fish will swim around over and under wood so, that is still considered "bottom" of the tank. My cory hand around the wood all the time and often sit up on it.

Byron 07-18-2012 02:00 PM

If this is the wood in the photo of the 10g tank [the only photo] in your Aquarium Log, I strongly suggest not taking it out. It is actually a nice piece; it is not bulky, but it provides some interest.

I can't imagine any issues with this... am I missing something?:shock:

equatics 07-18-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1160792)
If this is the wood in the photo of the 10g tank [the only photo] in your Aquarium Log, I strongly suggest not taking it out. It is actually a nice piece; it is not bulky, but it provides some interest.

I can't imagine any issues with this... am I missing something?:shock:

Byron, thanks for commenting, and I read it very carefully as I do all comments.

I really feel that I have to open up some space for more plants - looks right no like more fanwort, some other stem plant like Rotala - one that I vaguely know what it looks like, and a new Pygmy Chain Sword which I will fertilize with a tab as well as 1/2 dose of Flourish Comp.

The compromise solution is for me to cut off the big base so it isn't taking up so much space.

What say ye?

Steven

Byron 07-18-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo the Clownfish (Post 1160842)
Byron, thanks for commenting, and I read it very carefully as I do all comments.

I really feel that I have to open up some space for more plants - looks right no like more fanwort, some other stem plant like Rotala - one that I vaguely know what it looks like, and a new Pygmy Chain Sword which I will fertilize with a tab as well as 1/2 dose of Flourish Comp.

The compromise solution is for me to cut off the big base so it isn't taking up so much space.

What say ye?

Steven

I say no.:smash: Again assuming that photo is the tank, aside from some smallish substrate plants there is no space for other stem plants with or without the wood. And being serious, wood does make a nice contrast, plus it is beneficial to fish.

jennesque 07-18-2012 02:53 PM

If the picture in your aquarium log is the piece you're talking about, I really like the look of it! I also think you should keep it.

equatics 07-18-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1160854)
I say no.:smash: Again assuming that photo is the tank, aside from some smallish substrate plants there is no space for other stem plants with or without the wood. And being serious, wood does make a nice contrast, plus it is beneficial to fish.

I wasn't going to pitch it into the trash, anyway. Maybe you're right, and maybe as an alternative I just need to wait a little until my Water Sprite comes back from the pruning I did on it. I'm concerned about the Nitrates having shown up, though. Last time I tested them (last Saturday) they were 10 ppm and probably rising. I think the plants are not performing as well as they did. Of course there's the matter of introducing 2, then 4 Pristella Tetras... I guess it takes a little time. So I guess the wood gets some weeks' reprieve. Everyone has good arguments. Thanks.

Steven