Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Buying additional Cherry Barbs... and some other Q's. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/buying-additional-cherry-barbs-some-other-107686/)

LyzzaRyzz 07-17-2012 10:33 PM

Buying additional Cherry Barbs... and some other Q's.

So, I started out with nine cherries, four male, five female. The next two days, two females died, so i now only have 3 females.
Id like to keep my f/m ratio high, so im considering getting more cherries. Since i lost two, and that was from one of my lps's, and i will most likely be getting the new ones at petco [and quatantining longer, possibly three weeks to a month] I am curious to what you guys have to say about the f/m ratio i should buy.

I am thinking five more, four females and one male, or three females and one male. that would put my school up to seven females, five males, or an even six for six.

What are you opinions?

Also, i have a few cherry related questions:
What tank level are cherries? Mine seem to stay in the middle, mostly lower part of the tank, but its a ten gallon, so im not sure how that would relate to a 45 gallon 24 inch tall aquarium. Will it matter how high the vegetation goes?

Are they bottom feeders? Mine seem to eat food only when its falling down, and on the bottom. I wonder if its because my QT isnt densely decorated or planted, though it does have some stuff. Would they come up to the top to eat if i have alot of floating plants?

Are they any other advice, food suggestion [i will be getting new life spectrum .5 or 1 mm, along with 2mm or wafers] decoration preference, anything that will help them thrive!

[[My tank is a 45 gallon 36x24x12, with a 30-60 gal filter, a single 3ft 6500k t8 bulb. There are nine guppies, a bn pleco, a rn pleco and 20-30 fry. In my qt are the seven cherries I already have.]]

jaysee 07-18-2012 01:09 PM

Once the school is sufficiently large, the sex ratios aren't as important. It's really only something to pay attention to if you are going to keep a small school, which you are not. I have more males than females because they are more colorful.

LyzzaRyzz 07-18-2012 10:32 PM

Well, my concern is that while in QT they are still a small school. Or will it not matter for two weeks?
What would be a good m/f ratio for a school of 12-15? I am aiming for 12, though I'll buy more, in case I lose a few.
So, I'll be getting seven, five males, four females, making my group, if I don't lose any, seven females eight males.

This should be good, right?

Also, any additional advice?
Are they bottom feeders or top feeders?

jaysee 07-18-2012 10:44 PM

It's okay for the time they are in quarantine. I think your numbers are fine. If you wanted to keep a few extra males for more color, you could do that too.

They will primarily hang out in the lower half of the tank, though they will eat food anywhere in the water column.

LyzzaRyzz 07-18-2012 11:50 PM

Thanks!

I just love them!
I cant wait to see how they act in my 45!