Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Vivariums and Reptiles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/)
-   -   new reptile/amphibian? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/new-reptile-amphibian-107655/)

bubbles1 07-17-2012 07:21 PM

new reptile/amphibian?

Hi I'm debating on purchasing a terrarium any of the lower medium sized ones, not sure on dimensions yet, as in tall or wide or Normal, it's not neccisarilly furniture but just an empty space and an excuse to get a terrarium lol, so I'm deciding on something thats not to hard to look after but I want some challenge with it, I like cleaning, about every weekend, I really like desert habitats that can be easy to clean and can look cool with the right decor but then again jungle themes are really sick too!! I guess it all depends on the inhabitant, which is what I need help with ! I want something that can live in it permanently and not outgrow it, I don't want anything nocturnal, I don't really care about handling but I don't want it to peel out the moment there's a gap, but something I can handle at times to show guests,nothing 100% aquatic cause I have aquariums and water gets dirty and annoying i wouldnt mind making a small river or something inside, but of course I can provide a waterbowl also, I have old lamps so I can appropriate bulbs, and jw if possible some vegetarian diet, or can adapt to pellets, crickets can be a pain always to buy, but nothing that needs mice, ooh and no snakes my parents hate them like a lot of people thinking there "out to eat them" or something,lol i was thinking a berber skink or fire skink,perhaps an ackie or uromastyx but tank might be to small... I think that about sums my needs might add in a few that I forgot about, phew okay opinions please!

Varkolak 07-17-2012 08:44 PM

skinks are fast, maybe a chameleon? Always a good convo starter

Olympia 07-17-2012 08:58 PM

Uromastyx is your vegetarian desert dweller. Don't think you have room for a chameleon, or even the small monitor. Not sure about skinks.
Vegetarian reptiles are pretty hard to come by, most are pretty big.
I'd look into some geckos. Crested geckos are nice, they do need some insects but they do well on fruity things, and you can buy prepared diets for them, not sure if those are actually healthy though.

bubbles1 07-20-2012 05:02 PM

alrigh today i went to my lfs and i saw a few things that appeared suitable maybe..
flatrock lizards
fringe fingered lizards
western earless
malagasy mini iguana
fanfoot gecko
changeable agama
spiny agama
whiteline gecko
day gecko (giant and peacock)
and few others i cant remember, i dont really care about diet anymore, id rather feed crickets then have a unhealthy lizards, just no nocturnal lizards like leapard geckos, im kinda thinking a small community with various geckos and small anoles and frogs or something along those lines, or just a small nice desert setup with a single species,.. any advice?

willow 08-26-2012 04:39 PM

hey :-D
advise i guess would be to
stick to a species tank only to be honest,you can come across so many
things that will cause you trouble,that could spoil it for you.