sent a fish to another person's tank
I recently moved a perfectly healthy cichlid to a fish tank at my sister's house. Went to visit it to see how it was doing after a couple of days.
Now i didn't get to see the condition of this tank when i sent the fish with her. I got to her house and found my fish in a half empty 55 gallon tank, powerhead barely going. Filtration off or so plugged no waterflow.
The cichlid is very sick, i am setting up a medical tank at my house but i am afraid it's too late. The fish is swimming vertically, it's lethargic. The left eye has clouded over and has about a pea sized white spot on it's side.
Any advice on treatment? Or should i begin preperations to uthenize it?
Clean water, clean water, clean water. I would give it a few days of relief from the apparently awful conditions it was subjected to before beginning any treatment. That will also give you time to figure out a treatment plan.
Agree with jaysee. Give it a few days in clean water before you make any decision to put it down or medicate it. As for the cloudy eye and white spot, it sounds like he has bacterial issues.
Good luck - I hope he pulls through.
For bacterial infections, you will want to treat with maracyn and maracyn 2. One is for gram positive bacteria and the other is for gram negative. They are not cheap meds, but they are good to have on hand.
update on cichlid
I have the medical tank up and running, used some of my established tank water from another tank of mine. Put in some stress zyme. The filter is up and running along with an air stone. I chose not to put any substrate in at the moment figuring I could keep the tank cleaner and for easier treatment.
The Positive: I have moved my cichlid back home to my medical tank. Since moving it I have seen some improvement in it's behavior. I am going to do what you suggested and keep it in the med tank without treating the infection just yet, I am going to let it settle down and get acclimated.
The Negative: Found that another fish was in distress when I got my cichlid. It is a decent size common Pleco from the same tank. It was lying flat on it's back and barely breathing. I tested the water immediately with my kit.
Ammonia, and Nitrite were not right causing the problems with respiration.
Nitrate was very high, like around 80.
I took the pleco back to my house as well, but I am thinking it might not make it. I put it also in the medical tank. I will keep it under close observation for the next few hours to see if I see any change.
Thanks, for the help and I will keep posting updates.
Oh my! I hope both fish pull through!
Some people should just not keep fish.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2