Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Could anyone make me a personalised list of Good, friendly Community Fish?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Olympia 
#1 ·
I have recently bought a Fluval 125 (125 Litres / 33 US Gallons / 27 UK Gallons). (Three or so weeks back now).

I set it up not so long ago and used some of my Filter media from another Tank I have to boost the tanks cycle time, after about a week I bought some Green Tiger Barbs, and several days after that I had to take them back due to them being -FAR- too nippy, even for Barbs. (Honestly never seen anything like it).
I knew Barbs to be nippy but I have NEVER seen such a feisty bunch
(I had 5 Barbs, which was sufficient enough for the Tanks 'Predicament' I.E not fully cycled, and it made a small, but sufficient shoal).

Anyhow, I currently have no fish in my 'New' Tank, but intend to put some in soon enough. I recently bought some Cherry Barbs for my 'Old' Tank and I have been thinking about swapping them over into my 'New' Tank.

But before I do that, I was curious if anyone could possible make me a personalised list of Community fish (With Links/Tags if possible!) that can tolerate one another and also be in the tank I specified (No nippy fish please).
(I don't mind if it does not include Cherry Barbs, as they are happy enough swimming about in my 'Old' Tank).

The fish cant be too big, since its not exactly a 'big' tank - Infact the largest fish I might put in would probably be a Bristle-nose Pleco (They grow up to 5") - Just to give you guys an example.

So anything that isnt above 5 Inches will be awesome.

-
My imagination isn't the best, and I really do struggle to find fish I like that also work well in combinations of one another, not to mention I am still somewhat of a Novice.

- Really do appreciate the support.

See less See more
#2 ·
What is the ph in your new tank as well as hardness and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? Honey gourami, dwarf gourami, harlequin rasboras, kerri tetra, kuhli loach if you have sand, most cory dora species, and tons of other tetras will do well in a community tank but we can't really give you specifics without your water parameters. If you have hard water you could have live bearers - platys, swordtails, guppies, and mollies which can all inter breed with the live bearer of the next closest size

#3 · (Edited)
I had my PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrites tested about 3 days ago and the guy said everything was pretty much on the verge of being excellent/perfect.

He didnt tell me the specifics other than what my PH was (It was 7 as far as I remember).

Where I live in the United Kingdom my areas water is pretty 'hard' (Which is why he mentioned the PH in particular)

- I was in a rush, so I only asked him if my water would be suitable for introduction of fish, and he said it was, so I quickly rushed off again - Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

#4 ·
Knowing that you have hard water, you're going to want to look at livebearers. Since they will try to breed with eachother, just get one species. Some species you can look at are guppies (Poecilia reticulata), swordtails (Xiphophorus hellerii), endler's (Poecilia wingei ), or platies (Xiphophorus maculatus). Click on the shaded name to read about them.

There are some tetra that can work in your water, too. Flame tetra (Hyphessobrycon flammeus), X-ray tetra (Pristella maxillaris), or Bloodfin tetra (Aphyocharax anisitsi) would work. Depending on actually how hard it is, there are some other species that would work.

For a substrate fish, a school of bronze cory would look nice.

#5 ·
Celebes rainbowfish?

That is a -really- nice male, mind you.
The smaller rainbows, mainly this one are nice. As are the blue eyes. But they really do best in a planted tank, not sure if yours is. They are nice, hardwater little guys. These ones could probably put up with the cherry barbs, but a lot of them are shy little guys, so something to keep in mind.

White cloud mountain minnows are gorgeous (thought under appreciated) fish that have beautiful displays and do well in your water as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.