Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cherry Barbs occasionally shaking? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cherry-barbs-occasionally-shaking-107475/)

Dawes 07-16-2012 08:51 AM

Cherry Barbs occasionally shaking?

So after seeing how awesome Cherry Barbs looked in my friends tank, I decided to buy some to add with my 4 Corys.

The Tank is still in its cycling phase and has been for about 2-3 weeks now.

However, the first 3 days the Barbs were doing fine, I did a 50% water change yesterday morning and now they seem to be very sluggish and lethargic, and also hiding away behind my filter and under my driftwood.

Some of them occasionally 'shake' their whole bodies, should I be worried about anything in particular?
I bought my Barbs from the same place my friend got his from (after 1-2 days my friends Barbs got Ich, I thought this was more so his fault than the retailers, is this early sign of Ich or another parasite do you think?)
Before I went to bed late last night (1-2AM) unfortunately one of my Female Barbs had died, I quickly scooped her out.

GwenInNM 07-16-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawes (Post 1157266)
So after seeing how awesome Cherry Barbs looked in my friends tank, I decided to buy some to add with my 4 Corys.

The Tank is still in its cycling phase and has been for about 2-3 weeks now.

However, the first 3 days the Barbs were doing fine, I did a 50% water change yesterday morning and now they seem to be very sluggish and lethargic, and also hiding away behind my filter and under my driftwood.

Some of them occasionally 'shake' their whole bodies, should I be worried about anything in particular?
I bought my Barbs from the same place my friend got his from (after 1-2 days my friends Barbs got Ich, I thought this was more so his fault than the retailers, is this early sign of Ich or another parasite do you think?)
Before I went to bed late last night (1-2AM) unfortunately one of my Female Barbs had died, I quickly scooped her out.

With your tank cycling, you'll likely lose more :( If you can return them, you should and buy them when your tank is ready. If not, buy Prime, that will detoxify the ammonia and nitrites you have and help. You're looking at doing WC daily with Prime for a few weeks, or until the tank cycles. Cycling can take 6-8 weeks.

Sorry to tell you that. Yes, they are also suseptible to ich because they are stressed, but I'm betting you have nitrites and they are reacting to that. You need to by a liquid test kid (API) for at least ammonia and nitrites (nitrItes). You will want one for nitrates too. When you start getting a reading of nitrates your tank has cycled.

Good luck

Gwen

Eurekaseven 07-16-2012 11:09 AM

Ive seen rummynose tetras shake their body, but that was just at each other so I figured it was a display or something.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 07-17-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurekaseven (Post 1157383)
Ive seen rummynose tetras shake their body, but that was just at each other so I figured it was a display or something.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's a very different "shake.":-) I'd be fairly certain that the shaking mentioned by the original poster is what Gwen suggests, related to ammonia/nitrite poisoning.