Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Just Restarted 55gal Any favs? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/just-restarted-55gal-any-favs-10739/)

Socomfreak25 01-09-2008 12:55 AM

Just Restarted 55gal Any favs?

I just restarted my 55gal tank back up and its all that I have. I put 2 giant danios 2 longfin rosy barbs and a high fin pleco in it. BUT those are not all the fish I want to put in there. My favorites are the #1 black ghost knife fish,#2 the dinosaur bichir, #3 peacock eel, and i actually like the needlefish alot too well theres also red belly pacus i like BUT! (lol) I obviously dont have the room for all of these considering these are all quite large fish. So which would fit in best and get along with theyre tank mates??? :?: I'm definately not some pro at this or obviously i wouldnt ask lol. But im no dummie. I've put conditioning salt in etc. im trying to get more live plants ive only got one leafy/ bushy live plant currently but i plan on trying to get several. I have 2 porous or volcanic rocks (idk) Theyre both a off white coloration. I have a mixture of a little bit larger peble and mainly 1 1/2 - 2 " of small regular peble. Oh and a piece of artificial drift wood (plastic) that is hollow its probably about a foot long and i would say around the size of a 2 liter bottle or more like it would fit inside one fairly easy. I will get a picture of my tank if it would help out more but i will definately make the tank more suitable for the fish i pick once i get a little advice please. Really appreciate any help and I really like the forums you guys have here i really think I'll enjoy it here.

Cassie_KY 01-09-2008 10:31 AM

I have not kept any of the fish you are currently wanting. However, I have my heart set on a black ghost knife for my 125 and have done some considerable research on them. It would need some more vegetation and cover to feel comfortable in the tank. He and the pleco might argue if the pleco tries to share the knife's hidey hole with him. The barbs may be a snack for the knife down the road as knifes eat smaller fish if they are not fed very well by their owners. *Sigh* I love this fish!!

Pacu- they get three feet in diameter. If you don't want another tank, don't get one of those. If you like that look of a fish, silver dollars look similar and only get about four-six inches (can reach ten, but not often) and many hang out around five inches. They are schooling fish and are happier with friends. The males even have some red coloration and look alot like red-bellied pacu's.

The others, I honestly don't know a thing on them. Anyone else hanging out keep those kind of guys??

Cassie

Socomfreak25 01-09-2008 02:14 PM

hey thanks for the info I was kind of worried about the barbs i really kind of expected them for size to be a problem. And I didnt know about the pleco i really figured they needed plenty of hiding spots if i was gonna have the pleco and the black ghost knife. I want to get a 100+ aquarium later on but that would be once i have my own house or pad etc. lol. thanks again for all the insight on the ghost knife

bettababy 01-09-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassie_KY
I have not kept any of the fish you are currently wanting. However, I have my heart set on a black ghost knife for my 125 and have done some considerable research on them. It would need some more vegetation and cover to feel comfortable in the tank. He and the pleco might argue if the pleco tries to share the knife's hidey hole with him. The barbs may be a snack for the knife down the road as knifes eat smaller fish if they are not fed very well by their owners. *Sigh* I love this fish!!
A ghost knife would be very temporary in a 55 gallon tank. They get quite large and like to spend time hanging vertical... also are very shy and can be fussy eaters. Ghost knives require warm temps (80 - 82) large tanks, good filtration, and good maintenance. Ghost knives are a scaleless fish and very sensitive to water quality and aggressive tank mates. They are also a member of the electric fishes, using electrical shocks to stun their prey and in self defense. Minimum tank size for 1 black ghost knife is about 75 - 90 gallons.
Pacu- they get three feet in diameter. If you don't want another tank, don't get one of those. If you like that look of a fish, silver dollars look similar and only get about four-six inches (can reach ten, but not often) and many hang out around five inches. They are schooling fish and are happier with friends. The males even have some red coloration and look alot like red-bellied pacu's.
Pacu get to 5 feet, and we have a whole tank full of them at that size at our local zoo. I spent a lot of time sending people to see them before I would agree to sell them a juvenile, and it was with that I convinced my boss to stop selling them. Pacu are not appropriate as "pets" and don't belong in a home aquarium.

The others, I honestly don't know a thing on them. Anyone else hanging out keep those kind of guys??

Cassie

The dinosaur bichir is actually another name for Polypterus senegalus, and they also grow incredibly fast, can be quite aggressive and average 16 - 20 inches long. They would feed on your barbs and danios both, and anything else that would fit in its mouth. This also would require a minimum of about 125 gallons and would be too aggressive to keep with a ghost knife.

The peacock eel is another tank buster of sorts... average of about 12 inches long full grown. Peacock eels would need at least 90 gallons if meant to be kept with other fishes. Surface area (shape of the tank) is very important and also a sand substrate. Peacock eels spend most of their time burried in the sand, gravel is too harsh and causes injury quickly. Also a scaleless fish, water quality is of utmost important, and they are prone to fingal infections. An adult peacock eel will hunt anything that will fit into its mouth, and they are incredbily fast and tend to jump a lot.

Freshwater needlefish grow to about 16 inches, and need a very long tank. Anything less than 125 - 150 gallons is a no no, and that is pretty early on. These fish grow fast, and by the time they reach full grown would make lunch of the danios and barbs. These guys are big waste producers so good circulation and plenty of filtration, and lots of water changes is a must.

I hope this helps you to sort things out. As fun as all of your choices would be, they are not all compatible and none of them is suited to spend any real amount of time in a 55 gallon tank.

I get a feel for the eel-like appearance and movement that you seem to be attracted to. Have you considered that in order to do that, you'd likely have to change the gravel to sand? Silica sand is the best to use, and is relatively cheap... just can be tricky to keep clean without clogging drains/plumbing.
IF you decide to try a sand substrate, here is one option for you to consider: http://www.loaches.com/species-index...antella-maassi
Also, kuhli loaches are a lot of fun and get to about 5 inches full grown, so suitable for a 55 gallon tank. With the other fish you have now I would just be sure to provide a lot of hiding places down low for the loaches.

Another fish to search for are the halfbeaks. You will get the same shape as the needlefish (mostly) without the size and predatory habits. Some species of halfbeaks get to 5 inches, so they aren't tiny fish, but much easier to work with in a 55 gallon instead of a needlefish.

Before I go I also wanted to warn about salt in the tank with the types of fishes you are looking at keeping. Many scaleless freshwater fishes will not do well with salted water, and it should be used for medication purposes and sparingly if ever. The "salt treatments" using just basic aquarium salt is not a good thing for any of the fishes long term. It is primarily sodium, which builds up and also can cause long term organ function issues and permanent damage. If salt is needed for a freshwater aquarium, it is best to use a marine salt mix, which has much more mineral content in it, and lower sodium levels.

Socomfreak25 01-09-2008 11:37 PM

WOW! LOL I totally take back my not being a dummie statement after that and looking at several posts in the forums here. Whew totally over my head. So what your saying is i need to spihon and get some or atleast most of that salt back out right? and would sand be necessary for the black ghost knife considering they dont burrow? Also with the sand it wont mess up my filter will it? ive got a penguin bio wheel 330 with 2 bio wheels.(it might be rather out dated) It was rated for like 330 gallons per uh hour yea sorry. wow i feel totally dumb now. You people are smart, i look like a absolute idiot lol. But for the simple version i need to get rid of my salt? if i go for eels/scale less fish i need sand instead of the gravel? But adding more hiding places is a good idea. Would you people reccomend adding live plants more or what would be a reccomendation? also i really like the halfbeaks the Hemirhamphodon pogonognathus. I just suppose i could put it more as i like fish that "look" fairly aggresive like the pacus really remind me of piranahas and etc. if that makes sense the black ghost knife just caught my eye i just think its a beautiful kind of fish. Thanks so much for all of your help both of you so far so good im learning atleast! lol thanks!!!

bettababy 01-10-2008 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socomfreak25
WOW! LOL I totally take back my not being a dummie statement after that and looking at several posts in the forums here. Whew totally over my head. So what your saying is i need to spihon and get some or atleast most of that salt back out right? and would sand be necessary for the black ghost knife considering they dont burrow? Also with the sand it wont mess up my filter will it? ive got a penguin bio wheel 330 with 2 bio wheels.(it might be rather out dated) It was rated for like 330 gallons per uh hour yea sorry. wow i feel totally dumb now. You people are smart, i look like a absolute idiot lol. But for the simple version i need to get rid of my salt? if i go for eels/scale less fish i need sand instead of the gravel? But adding more hiding places is a good idea. Would you people reccomend adding live plants more or what would be a reccomendation? also i really like the halfbeaks the Hemirhamphodon pogonognathus. I just suppose i could put it more as i like fish that "look" fairly aggresive like the pacus really remind me of piranahas and etc. if that makes sense the black ghost knife just caught my eye i just think its a beautiful kind of fish. Thanks so much for all of your help both of you so far so good im learning atleast! lol thanks!!!

For starters... let me repeat... no ghost knife in a 55 gallon tank. Put simply for you... it will die.
Yes, the salt should come out, and through a series of water changes that should be quite simple... but it will mean daily changes of about 10% for a few wks, and a good idea to do some gravel vac'ing each time.
A black ghost knife can do well on gravel or sand, but it will also requires a much higher temp than your barbs would tolerate. You're talking almost 10 degrees difference between the 2, so you may want to try to forget the ghost knife until you are able to set up a large enough tank with suitable tank mates.

Sand is not a friend of filters, but there are ways to help protect your filter against it. Using a fine mesh wrapped around the intake with fishing line will usually do the trick, or if you can find a dense enough sponge, cut a hole in it and stick it on there. Be careful with sponges, as it has to be natural sponge and no way of having any types of chemicals in it for it to be safe. Look for sponges that are made to fit power heads... but find them at your LFS, not just any store.
I will look around for a few other suggestions for suitable fish for a 55 gallon with the current fish in it... and "agressive looking" for you. I'll post again if I find anything.

Socomfreak25 01-10-2008 10:02 AM

ok sorry i just didnt read anything about them in your first reply my bad i apologize just didnt really have any idea