Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Help! Dead fish! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/help-dead-fish-107372/)

Kriston14 07-15-2012 12:50 AM

Help! Dead fish!

I came home today and one of my black mollies was belly up and I have no idea why. I got all the fish in my aquarium a few days ago at Petsmart. The problem is I have no idea why. The two of them seemed fine before aside from the fact I noticed today that they both had there fins clenched. Other than that there are no signs at all. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I separate the other Molly? Any ideas on what this could be?

I cycled my tank before putting them in there and treated the water, conditions are in order.

~Olivia

Kriston14 07-15-2012 02:01 AM

Also one of the danios has been gasping at the top. Now the other molly is doing it too. The one that died wasn't that I noticed.

rhymon78 07-15-2012 02:18 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems,

Gasping at the surface usually means either the presence of Ammonia, or nitrite. You say the conditions are in order? what does that mean? What are you using to test the water? what size is the tank, other fish, temperature etc.. all this other information will help other folks on here help you.

I would as a matter of urgency do a good water change, maybe 40/50% and ensure you condition the water. If you can use a conditioner called prime by Seachem as this will make safe any unwanted chemicals in the water for 24/36 hours, to save the fish that you have in there.

Did you acclimate the new fish properly? floating the bag to get them used to the different temperature? then slowly adding tank water? I'm sure you did, just trying to think of obvious things that can cause problems. It could be that the fish have just had enough, poor conditions at petsmart in their tanks, there could be disease present etc. then the stress of moving them, and adding them to a new tank etc.

Can I ask how many new fish you added at once? adding fish to a new aquarium should be a slow process, to allow the filter and bacteria adjust to the bioload of the fish. Too many at once and it can tip the balance, allowing the poisonous substances to increase in the water, and cause the symptoms you describe.

providing all this info will help greatly.

All the best
Simon

EDIT* Ok so I just saw the list of fish in your signature.... missed that sorry.

draygunn 07-15-2012 02:32 AM

this is happening to my friends molleys as well, he lost 5 in under a week. I advised him to go to a local pet store that checks ALL levels and chem tests, and also as rhymon said 50% change and good conditioner. I have not heard back from him yet but when i get his reasults I will post.

Varkolak 07-15-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymon78 (Post 1155888)
Sorry to hear about your problems,

Gasping at the surface usually means either the presence of Ammonia, or nitrite. You say the conditions are in order? what does that mean? What are you using to test the water? what size is the tank, other fish, temperature etc.. all this other information will help other folks on here help you.

I would as a matter of urgency do a good water change, maybe 40/50% and ensure you condition the water. If you can use a conditioner called prime by Seachem as this will make safe any unwanted chemicals in the water for 24/36 hours, to save the fish that you have in there.

Did you acclimate the new fish properly? floating the bag to get them used to the different temperature? then slowly adding tank water? I'm sure you did, just trying to think of obvious things that can cause problems. It could be that the fish have just had enough, poor conditions at petsmart in their tanks, there could be disease present etc. then the stress of moving them, and adding them to a new tank etc.

Can I ask how many new fish you added at once? adding fish to a new aquarium should be a slow process, to allow the filter and bacteria adjust to the bioload of the fish. Too many at once and it can tip the balance, allowing the poisonous substances to increase in the water, and cause the symptoms you describe.

providing all this info will help greatly.

All the best
Simon

EDIT* Ok so I just saw the list of fish in your signature.... missed that sorry.

+1

Chesh 07-15-2012 09:25 AM

I'm REALLY sorry to hear about your loss :( Mollies are such wonderful creatures . . .

I'm agreeing with Rhymon on this one. . .

Take a few minutes to read over this article on the nitrogen cycle. I'm not sure how you cycled your tank without fish, but what many new aquarists think is cycling is really just letting the tank settle for a day or two - not the same thing.

If the tank WAS properly cycled before you added your fish, the bioload of those fish in that quantity is really too high for a 10g tank. The Mollies will need at least a 20g tank in order to thrive.

If I were you, I'd take the remaining molly back to the store, and let the tank rest for a bit. Do lots of water changes to keep ammonia levels down - if you don't have one already, getting an API Master Freshwater testing kit is a very good idea, as it will let you see what the toxin levels are at in your tank, and let you know when/if the cycle is complete.

If it were my tank, minus the molly, I'd bump the number of Glofish up to six (they like to be in groups) and leave it at that.

Good luck to you! It's always disheartening to lose fish - especially when you don't understand why. :(

Kriston14 07-15-2012 10:30 AM

I separated the fish that was gasping and later noticed the molly was begging to do it too so I separated her as well. None of the others are doing it so I think it is more likely disease. I noticed before that this danio had separated himself from the school, perhaps an effort not the spread? do fish do that? The mollies when I got them always stuck together but the day one died they separated themselves too.

This morning I checked the separation tank and the danio was dead (very sad) but the molly had stopped gasping! I looked at the main tank and all the danios are as they were the previous night. I don't know if this should be alarming (a bit of fish paranoia now) Should I be worried that they are all hanging out in the bottom corner of the tank? It is the corner by the heater so yesterday I rose the heat a few and they are still doing it.

I cycled the tanks as the told me too in the store before they would let me get fish and I have read I could have live cycled them and it would have been fine. so I don't think it is that.

I do condition my water as directed on the bottle. The brand is API.
Unfortunately the test kits in store were super expensive so I decided to order it and it hasn't gotten here yet, so I can't test. What I meant by conditions was that the filter is working, the temp is right and the tank maintenance is up to date.
I did a 45% water change when I got the dead fish out as advised but my fish expert sister.

I did properly acclimate my fish. I had my sister help since she had done it before. Her fish have never died so I am guessing she did it right.
I hope this information helps. Test kit will come today.

~Olivia

jennesque 07-15-2012 10:45 AM

You need to test the water, really.. if the kit isn't delivered today you can take your water to a pet shop or fish store for testing. You say your sister has experience in fish keeping, she should have a test kit then.. perhaps you can use it? I'd keep doing probably like 25% water changes daily if your tank is cycling. Danio can sometimes survive the cycling of a new tank but not without severe damage to their insides. It is not suggested you use fish in such a cruel manner.

You say you cycled the tank.. for how long?

Posted via Mobile Device

Chesh 07-15-2012 11:06 AM

I agree with Jennesque

Sorry to say... it is MOST likely to be bad water conditions, and NOT disease that is causing your fish to behave in this fashion. The Dannios are showing symptoms of stress, as are the Mollies - and this includes every symptom you have listed. Glad to hear that your Molly is doing a bit better - this is most likely due to the fact that it was put into fresh, clean water in the separation tank - again showing that the problem is likely to be with the water, not disease.

My only recommendation to you is, as the others have said, is to continue doing water changes daily until you can test to see what the conditions are in the tank. It is VERY likely you have ammonia and/or nitrite and this is what the fish are reacting to. Keep the water as clean as possible, and test as soon as you are able. . . unless you have a bigger tank, you are overstocked in your 10g, and you really should consider taking the Molly back to the store.

I would like to better understand how you cycled your tank. Have you been adding ammonia to the water for several weeks to get the bacteria ready for the fish? How could you know that your tank was cycled if you didn't have a testing kit? If you haven't done these things, we can safely assume that your tank is, indeed, cycling - and this is a very dangerous process for the creatures that live inside of it. If you can let us know what steps you took, exactly, to cycle your tank - and for how long, we can better advise you as to what the problem may have been. But saying you did what your sister and the pet store told you to do isn't giving us any details that we can use to help you with - and so we will all continue to advise that the tank is cycling.

Edit to add: To get them through the cycle, aside from keeping up on water changes daily, you should LOWER the heater to the lowest temperature that ALL of the fish can safely withstand, don't feed them for a day or two (they'll be fine) and when you do feed them, feed VERY lightly (this will keep the wastes down in the water while the cycle is running it's course), also it's a good idea to turn the hood lights off, this will calm the fish and make them feel more comfortable.

Olympia 07-15-2012 11:32 AM

I have to agree with everything that's been said.. I did notice your tank is overstocked, there is a chance that the biology of the tank simply can't keep up with the life in it...
I also think it's a good idea to just take the other molly you have back to the store. It'll make things easier on everyone else.