Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Possibly injured apple snail..? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/possibly-injured-apple-snail-107362/)

LyzzaRyzz 07-15-2012 12:39 AM

Possibly injured apple snail..?

2 Attachment(s)
I just did a rescape on my tank, and a few hours later found my apple snail like this. Could i have hurt her? Or maybe one of the fish? there are nine guppies and two rosy red minnows. Also a BN pleco and a RN pleco.
Anyone seen this before?

Here are some vids too.

Snail with curly antennea vid 1 on pot - YouTube

Snail with curly antennea vid 2 on glass - YouTube

Varkolak 07-15-2012 08:54 AM

It seems to be getting around just fine, snails are pretty tough so he should heal. If he was bumping into things you might have a reason to be worried but even with 1.5 antennae hes moving with purpose. You may have hurt him or a fish nipped it or he hurt himself, no matter which it was its not serious

Chesh 07-15-2012 10:18 AM

From your video. . . it seems that the snail has his TWO antennae intact and perfectly straight. I *believe* what you're seeing is his breathing tube! Apple snails are super cool because they have a top secret way of getting oxygen from the surface. The breathing tube is normally kept inside, and they don't usually unfurl it unless they're trying to get oxygen. Usually they do it toward the surface of the tank (obviously - as it's closer to the air!) My guess is that when you stirred some stuff up, you may have created debris in the tank that was making it more difficult for him to breathe, so he's giving this a try. . . could be wrong, but that's my bet!

Varkolak 07-15-2012 01:15 PM

You might be right, I didn't even consider that tiny antennae on the right side because of the size difference on the left. Apple snails are too destructive for my tastes so I don't keep any and havent spent the time watching them to notice the little things like that

Olympia 07-15-2012 02:03 PM

A top secret way of getting oxygen!
Chesh. :rofl:
You're amazing.
Posted via Mobile Device

LyzzaRyzz 07-15-2012 04:03 PM

Ive seen the breathing tube, its really cool! But this is one of his two top antennae. It looks like its going straight, then theres a tiny bump, and it curls. almost like something bit him, or i knocked him into something.
The gups wont seem to leave him alone, and hes just been trying to go along his business, but they keep nipping him. they dont do that to my other snail!

Chesh 07-15-2012 07:51 PM

AWWW! Poor little thing! I was hoping it was an easy explanation - that breathing tube is a bit creepy the first time you see it! :( Poor lil' guy. . . the next question is why are the guppies picking on HIM, and did THEY cause the damage? PP is right - he'll probably be fine, he looks like he's getting around well - but if the guppies are actually causing him damage, you might have to separate him. I'd just keep an eye on him/them and see how everything plays out.

LyzzaRyzz 07-15-2012 11:33 PM

Hes hanging around the 'feeding dish', where i always aim when i drop wafers and the algea gel stuff. He hasnt really left the same area, though the gups only pick at him when hes in the dish.
Not extending his anteannea at all, im getting kind of worried now!
Im thinking of putting him in my bettas 5.5, though i just put him in it today, with three ghosties. I wonder if it would be safe, since the 45 is established...

Chesh 07-16-2012 12:20 AM

I wouldn't. . . if it's a newly set up tank. Believe it or not, Apple snails are REALLY sensitive to fluctuation in parameters - and oddly enough, react terribly to NITRATE of all things. As long as it's stable, they'll be okay - but when that nitrate starts to spike *shakes head* This is from experience - Apples are weird like that. If you DO put him in with the betta, be sure to do lots of water changes to keep him happy - but watch closely - *some* betta fish are not so very nice to snails and their antennae, either! He might just go from the pan into the fire. I don't really know what to tell you to do, if there's no way that you can keep the guppies away from him! Have you picked him up and physically moved him to another area of the tank? Like maybe in/under some plants where he'll be left alone? Or does he come right back to the dish?

LyzzaRyzz 07-16-2012 01:53 AM

I have moved him, and he does go right back. Right now, hes on his 'back'? his opening is towards the surface...he hasnt moved at all in about an hour.im going to go take pictures....
Maybe hes dying?
[[and we keep calling the snail a he, but its actually a girl..]]