Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Dwarf Puffers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/dwarf-puffers-10733/)

Cody 01-08-2008 07:43 PM

Dwarf Puffers

I have been looking over DP's lately, and decided that I might want to add some to my next "round" of fish. I wouldn't be housing them with any other fish besides their own specie, and I know they like plants and hiding spots. I know I need to do 30%-50% changes every week w/ gravel vaccums, and I need to vary their diet. I just want some things answered.

-Could I keep a Shrimp or Snail with the DP's? (I heard they like to eat snails, and sometimes Shrimp, but I do not know. I want a good CUC.)

-How many could I put in a 5-7 Gallon? I read that the best is one DP per 1.5-2.5 Gallons, but I want some opions.

-Do they like any specific live plants? Or would plastic work?

Thanks in advance.

Little-Fizz 01-08-2008 08:23 PM

In a 5 gallon I would have two dwarf puffers. In a 7, I would get three.

Your supposed to feed them snails. So my guess would be if you wanted to keep the snails alive that would be a no. Unless the snail was bigger then the fish. But the DP's would probably harass the snail.

I don't know about shrimp... I would think not... But I have no idea really.

I'm sure plastic would work, as long as there was a lot. But I would get live, they look nicer and they have benefits.

Cody 01-08-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
In a 5 gallon I would have two dwarf puffers. In a 7, I would get three.

Your supposed to feed them snails. So my guess would be if you wanted to keep the snails alive that would be a no. Unless the snail was bigger then the fish. But the DP's would probably harass the snail.

I don't know about shrimp... I would think not... But I have no idea really.

I'm sure plastic would work, as long as there was a lot. But I would get live, they look nicer and they have benefits.

Ok. I think I will buy a Ghost Shrimp, and see what happens with him.

Would I need a different kind of substrate? Like sand? I have gravel right now.

In a 6, could I put 2 or 3?

Little-Fizz 01-09-2008 04:48 AM

Sand would look nicer. But the puffer won't care. Either one would be fine.
I wouldn't push it with 3 in a 6 gallon. Keeping in mind these are very messy fish. Unless your getting a huge filter for this tank, with LOTS of live plants and your planning on doing a lot of water changes. I wouldn't get 3 in a 6.

If you are going the live plant way, and you have a lot of them. I would get more then one shrimp. Ghost shrimp are cheap, and with lots of hiding places a couple may survive if your puffers decide to make a snack out of them.

Falina 01-09-2008 07:34 AM

Depending on the sex of the puffers they need 3-5 gallons per fish. 3 for female, 5 for male.

They would almost definitely kill a snail or shrimp that was in beside them unfortunately.

Substrate won't matter and plastic plants would do fine, but live would be better.

In a 6g I would put one male, or 2 females.

Cody 01-09-2008 04:37 PM

I want to buy more than one, so I will buy two females. I don't want any fights, so I guess that is the safest way to go.

So, they like rocks, plants, and hiding spots. Got that covered. I red they like Jave fern and moss, but I do not know if my LPS carries that.

Males are usually distinugished with a line on their underside, right?

Too bad I can't have a CUC in this... :?

I doubt it, but if I say had 1 DP (maybe 2), could I maybe put an Otto in with them?

iamntbatman 01-09-2008 06:00 PM

I've read in several places that Oto's work with dwarf puffers most of the time. My girlfriend's tank has been cycling for a while now, and the Tiger Barbs in there are doing great (and haven't eaten any of the ghost shrimp in there, either). Tonight we're going out to buy her puffers. I have other tanks available for the Barbs if that combination doesn't work out. We'll have to see!

Btw, I have the puffer tank decorated with a small, dark substrate (the puffers are light colored so I thought they'd stand out well against the dark gravel). I have a hornwort plant in each of the back corners, cabomba planted all along the back, and some java fern up front. I did some rock work with several caves. Hopefully those puffers will be happy!

Cody 01-09-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman
I've read in several places that Oto's work with dwarf puffers most of the time. My girlfriend's tank has been cycling for a while now, and the Tiger Barbs in there are doing great (and haven't eaten any of the ghost shrimp in there, either). Tonight we're going out to buy her puffers. I have other tanks available for the Barbs if that combination doesn't work out. We'll have to see!

Btw, I have the puffer tank decorated with a small, dark substrate (the puffers are light colored so I thought they'd stand out well against the dark gravel). I have a hornwort plant in each of the back corners, cabomba planted all along the back, and some java fern up front. I did some rock work with several caves. Hopefully those puffers will be happy!

The thing is, I only have a 6 gallon tank, so I do not have many options. I read that Otos can;t grow bigger than 2" most of the time, so they wouldn't be taking up much space.

Would I be able to fit 2 DP's and an Oto in a 6? I know it would probably be "crunched," but I want to know.

iamntbatman 01-09-2008 08:58 PM

The Oto's barely count as tank residents. I've never seen one bigger than 1.5" and they mostly just stick to the bottom/sides/plant leaves/rocks. I think two dwarfs and an Oto in a 6 should be ok.

Cody 01-09-2008 10:00 PM

Can someone tell me the best set-up for these?

I was thinking these, and I want opinions.

-Plants: Live or Plastic?
-Substrate for Live Plants if I do use them: Sand, gravel, or a combination?
-Driftwood? Rocks? Tubes?
-Type of Live Plants?

I am probably going to buy 2 or 3 Ghost Shrimp when I buy my Dwarfs and Otto (Only 50% sure on Otto, will make that decision later).