Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Driftwood feels funny after soaking. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/driftwood-feels-funny-after-soaking-107317/)

LyzzaRyzz 07-14-2012 05:01 PM

Driftwood feels funny after soaking.

So I nabbed two sticks of driftwood, boiled em, soaked em, boiled em again, and one still feels...slimy?
I put the other in my tank, though I am worried about the other..what is the driftwood supposed to feel like before you put it in?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 07-14-2012 06:55 PM

If the wood was bought from a fish store, it should not feel at all slimy but when wet should be smooth if it is the blond/light colour wood, and less so if it is the Malaysian Driftwood or similar.

I'm thinking you may have picked this up outside... be careful.

LyzzaRyzz 07-14-2012 08:04 PM

It's driftwood my mom collected years ago and has been sitting in my house for years.
All the drift wood at pet stores that I find are so expensive! And I have two plecos, so they needed the wood. The slimy piece is a softer wood, and the other feels just like wet wood.

Byron 07-15-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz (Post 1155188)
It's driftwood my mom collected years ago and has been sitting in my house for years.
All the drift wood at pet stores that I find are so expensive! And I have two plecos, so they needed the wood. The slimy piece is a softer wood, and the other feels just like wet wood.

Don't use soft woods; they break down much faster and this can quickly pollute the tank. Plus, depending upon the wood species, they may contain poisonous sap or pitch, and this can remain deep in the wood for a long time but when submerged may leech out. Coniferous trees (cedar, pine, spruce, fir...) are soft woods.

Hard woods, such as oak and popular, are safe from this aspect.

LyzzaRyzz 07-15-2012 03:20 PM

Thanks for the info!
I have no idea what type of wood the first stick is, but ive decided to just throw out the slimy stick.
Ill be watching the stick i have in my tank, for fuzzyness, or any signs of quick deterioration.

cwmorrow 07-16-2012 04:12 PM

I soaked a "store bought" piece all Winter long in a wading pool outside. Right out of the store, it had begun growing slime/mold/gunk/whatever.
It looks very nice in the tank now.

LyzzaRyzz 07-16-2012 10:37 PM

It hasnt started to piece off, or foul the water? how long did it take to not feel that way anymore?

cwmorrow 07-17-2012 08:12 AM

After soaking for months outside, it gave no problems.

I soaked a "natural" piece of oak I found in a dry creek bed for a month, placed it in a ten gallon with a "volunteer" pencil fish for two weeks and put it in the loach tank. The same with a 3" diameter stump.
I am going to buy new test strips today and will report on the pH.

I'm soaking oak from a dead tree in a tub outside. It is peeling and stinking. It will take months to see if it is usable.

Tazman 07-17-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwmorrow (Post 1158835)
I am going to buy new test strips today and will report on the pH.

Spend a little extra and get a liquid test kit such as API freshwater Master kit. The test strips are very unreliable and can give false results.