Tropical Fish Keeping banner

adopted more fish.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sidluckman 
#1 ·
Well not that long ago i adopted 3 peacocks from a friend and i kept them for a little bit but wasnt to happy with them kinda partial with my mbunas so i gave them to my LFS. Now not even a week later same guy.. gives me two small JDS.. awesome color in both of them but there is no way i can keep both so i was going to give one to the LFS heres my question. a min. require 55gal but who here has JDS? and what do you keep them in and if possible pictures of the set up? i think once they become adults a 55gal just seems small.

#4 ·
Jack Dempseys are not huge fish, compared to most Central Americans. Seven to eight inches would be large. I think a 55 would be okay, but I caution you about aggression with these fish. A pair may be possible, but a third dempsey will get all kind of hell from the pair.

I am not entirely familiar with the development and history of the Blue Dempsey, which always looks to me like a hybrid of some sort. Is it possible they do not grow as large as the wild form? I hope someone will add information on them. . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.