Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Treat or Euthanize (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/treat-euthanize-107146/)

Zooman77 07-13-2012 10:56 AM

Treat or Euthanize

2 Attachment(s)
So I was recently at my nephews house and noticed at grungy and dirty 20 gallon tank filled with brown water. I asked my nephew what was in it and he said there used to be a "fishies" in it(he's 3). But after asking my sister(his mom) she said the fish all died 3 months ago. After closer examination I realized there was still a fish alive. She said that they haven't maintained the tank for three months, so This goldfish has been sitting in a dirty tank and hasn't been fed for months. I found a container netted it out and brought it home. It appears to have some fin rot and is very lethargic. I don't know what the water parameters of the tank are but I assume they are bad. The tank wasn't heated(not that it needs to be since its a goldfish) but it was by my guess 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The aquarium was only set up for 2 weeks before the fish died, She had no clue what the nitrogen cycle is so I'm sure the fish died of new tank syndrome. They had a cheap internal power filter that was meant for a five gallon tank. The tank was not exposed to sunlight and they never performed water changes thinking a filter was enough. I can also assume the fish has multiple vitamin deficiencies. There are some thread like things hanging off the fish so I'm not sure if it is a type of worm or something else. I have a 40 gallon goldfish tank that could house him but I'm not sure if I should treat him or euthanize him. I would appreciate any answers and opinions. Also even thought this is a tropical fish forum I feel like the people here are more experienced then any goldfish forum. Below are photos of the fish.

Romad 07-13-2012 12:35 PM

Awwwwww.... poor fish. If it were me, I'd have to try to get it healthy again. I'm not sure I'd set up the 40 gallon just for that though. Do you have anything that you can use as a hospital tank to see if he makes it?

I'd start off with fsmall amounts of food at first. As for the stringy things, at this point I think meds would probably kill the fish since it's weak and malnourished.

Keep the water pristine if you decide to try to save him. You might want to pick up a vitamin supplement in the meantime - something like Vita Chem.

Good luck and kudos to you for rescuing him.

Varkolak 07-13-2012 02:13 PM

Use a good fish food and take it slow, don't go overboard on the water cleaning considering what it came from you could shock the fish and do more harm then good, give it some good meals and some time to rest - plants would help out too

Zooman77 07-13-2012 02:18 PM

So I actually do have a 20 gallon that I will set up along with plenty of mature gravel and filter cartridges. Would Melafix harm the fish or should I stay away from all meds? Its ironic I just ordered some vitamins for my tropical fish and they should arrive either today or tomorrow.

Varkolak 07-13-2012 03:20 PM

Don't medicate until the fish starts looking better, with a weakened immune system you can end up killing from the shock of the meds

Olympia 07-13-2012 04:37 PM

If he's a single tail I'd just euthanize because 40 gallons is too small for them... Unless you have a larger tank ready..

High ammonia levels probably kept down a ton of parasites, putting him in clean water makes it safe for parasites to attack his weakened system. You have to be careful with these situations.