Tropical Fish Keeping banner

What now?

5K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Alexis 
#1 ·
I recently treated my oscar for ick, as some of you know, and he's been fine for a while now....well now he has some slight discolorations towards his hind-end. He's been acting a little strange, but not too weird. I'll try to get a picture later, but anybody have any ideas what this might be? If i were to explain the look I'd say it is "Slimy" but I don't know if it actually is texturally.

I swear his environment is completely sound...water changes regularly and the tank is fully cycled. Params normal, everything.

#3 ·
dlil said:
I would just keep a close eye on him for a while, what's slimey? is it visible above the scales??
Slime coat.

#6 ·
Yeah kind of. It looks like there is more of it today, but maybe I'm just looking closely. It's definitely present though. :(

I'm doing all I can for this fish and he's super healthy--I haven't given feeder fish in a long time (since ick) and I don't intend to anymore, so I don't think it is from diet. I just don'tknow what to do for him.

#12 ·
If possible you should try feeding more times a day. Not more food but at more frequent intervals. This keeps the fish active and keeps the metabolism going strong. An increased metabolic rate speeds up everything. Speeds up healing and increases it's immune system. This only needs to occur until everything is back to normal. I'd also plan on raising the temp up to 86F for about 2 weeks.

Good of you to stop feeding live feeders. It can be a bad practice. Goldfish are horrible feeders and will cause health problems. Many a captive fish has been injured chasing or consuming live fish.

When I was young 8-12, I mainly kept oscars. Had 2 55g tanks running with 5 oscars total. They seemed more like pets than fish. Mine would eat any large pellets I offered. Hikari pellets will really bring out hte color. Did you know that oscars need to be entertained? Try adding a ping pong ball to the tank. After a few days it will begin chasing it and blowing it around the tank.

#13 ·
Since the two are in the same tank, you should be feeding more often as was already said (because of the baby).

As for the fungus, some one else told the truth as well.
Raise the temp to 86. HOWEVER, you need to keep it that high for about two weeks AFTER the last sign of illness..so that means maybe three weeks or even a month. No big deal.

Since you aren't sure if the illness is bacterial or fungal, try a "cocktail" of Melafix and Pimafix used according to the directions.

I would ALSO (on top of the heat, Pima and Mela fix) add 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water. That will boost osmotic gill function for both of your O's.

In future, my humble advice is: PLEASE QT new fish for at least two weeks....even if you QT them in a Rubbermaid container on your kitchen table...
It saves sooooooo much grief! :cry:

#14 ·
I didn't know you could QT that way, I absolutely will. I wanted to QT him when I got him but didn't have any way to do so. The past few days (after raising the temperature and adding salt) it looks like it is residing. Now I just gotta keep a close eye on him.

#24 ·
jinithith2 said:
yeah... that's the problemo... :(
I have 200 bucks to spend on a tank but come on...for one year?
Craigs list, local free ads online and the newspaper rule.
I've bought:
full 125 set up (oak stand, canopy, lights filters, the works) 400
full 125 set up (same) 200
full 100 set up (same) 200and that's just the tip of the iceburg. I have 18 tanksand only three were purchased new.
Sorry for the spam!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.