Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Best flake food (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/best-flake-food-107094/)

mikejp67 07-12-2012 09:49 PM

Best flake food

Hi All,
I thought i had read somewhere that Tetramin food isnt very good for your fish. Is that true?
What is the best food (mfg) I should be feeding my fish?

Tazman 07-12-2012 09:50 PM

What fish do you have?

New Life Spectrum make some of the best flake food available.

thekoimaiden 07-12-2012 09:57 PM

Another thumbs up for New Life Spectrum. Once I found this brand, I've never gone back. All of my fish get some variation of this food.

Generally you can tell the quality of food by looking at the first few ingredients. You want some kind of fish or shrimp to the be the first one. If wheat (or some kind of gluten) is then, it's usually a poor-quality food.

Fishguy2727 07-12-2012 10:34 PM

New Life Spectrum exclusively is the best thing you can do. I however do not feed flakes at all anymore. Pellets fill them up better and are cleaner. Even the smallest fish in the store get pellets.

AbbeysDad 07-13-2012 08:41 AM

Yes...check the ingredients. Many fish foods use lower quality fish meals which require copious amounts of starch (wheat, oat, soy, rice flours) as a binder. In some cases, the starches are the first (largest) ingredients and used as fillers to increase the crude protein value.
New Life Spectrum uses a higher quality fish meal made from whole fish (I believe Herring and Krill).
I think the best foods are made from fresh fish as less starch/binder/filler is required. Omega One claims to use fresh fish and kelp.
Ed's Almost Natural Tropical Fish Food is made from fresh food grade (the same fish you or I would serve at the table) fish.
API is marketing foods made from more sustainable proteins and may also be worth a look.

Note: Higher quality foods result in healthier stock with less fish waste (as much of binders/fillers just pass through).

Geomancer 07-13-2012 09:24 AM

I use Omega One, as it's the best avalible in stores around here.

The ingredient list looks good, whole fish meal. Petsmart has it on sale often, I still buy small or medium containers. I really don't know how long flakes stay 'fresh' so I don't get the large containers.

I've never seen NLS in any store, local or chain.

Fishguy2727 07-13-2012 09:28 AM

Petco carries. It really is better enough to order online. Omega One uses artificial colors.

Geomancer 07-13-2012 09:34 AM

Must be your region.

Out here, 50% is Tetra, the rest is Aqueon, Hakari, Omega One, API, and sometimes one other brand.

I'm not concerned over artificial colors though (nor am I in my own food, I don't do the organic thing).

fish monger 07-13-2012 11:32 AM

Back in day, there was Hartz Mountain, Wardley's, and TetraMin. TetraMin was top drawer. It's still my go to staple food. We've all seen the debates concerning nutrition and whether one form or the other is best in our diets. One report says natural is the only way to go, another says the body can't differentiate. I'm on the fence. I useTetra based on its guaranteed analysis and supplement with good frozen or freeze dried products occasionally. I currently have Onega One because that's all my local Petco had...unbelievable. The fish seem to like it and I would buy it again. No experience with the other foods mentioned.

Fishguy2727 07-13-2012 01:05 PM

If you like Tetra or Omega One give NLS a shot. You will see an improvement. People who have seen the difference don't go back to Tetra for a reason.

NLS is a step above Omega One as well, and not just because of the artificial colors.