Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Setting up a 20 galling long (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/setting-up-20-galling-long-107031/)

Eurekaseven 07-12-2012 11:17 AM

Setting up a 20 galling long

I got a 20 long at Petcos dollar a gallon sale and I want either white cloud mountain minnows or ghost shrimp. I had ghost shrimp that lived with a betta for years. One thing I'm set on putting in there is a fake vine, pretty sure exo terra is the brand and it says water proof. And probably some of those smooth black river rocks.

What kind of plants would go good with shrimp, that don't grow too big if possible?
Posted via Mobile Device

emeraldsky 07-12-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurekaseven (Post 1151309)
I got a 20 long at Petcos dollar a gallon sale and I want either white cloud mountain minnows or ghost shrimp. I had ghost shrimp that lived with a betta for years. One thing I'm set on putting in there is a fake vine, pretty sure exo terra is the brand and it says water proof. And probably some of those smooth black river rocks.

What kind of plants would go good with shrimp, that don't grow too big if possible?
Posted via Mobile Device

Be careful with the exo-terra stuff, I had a vine I used and didnt notice a bit of wire that wasnt covered so it started to rust. Double check and make sure the all the metal bits are covered before using it since rust will kill anything in your tank, especially the shrimp.

You can try some anubias for plants, those grow pretty slow and my shrimp seem to like it though they prefer moss, I always see them in there!

Eurekaseven 07-13-2012 11:02 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Would moss grow on the vine?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 07-13-2012 04:20 PM

The "vine" is probably intended for reptiles and amphibians and the "water proof" means it can get wet or splashed and not fall apart. I wouldn't put it under water in a fish tank. The colour may leech, along with various other chemicals. Submerging some things causes them to slowly release chemicals.

As for suitable live plants, Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss are all low light and easy plus slow-growing.

Byron.

Eurekaseven 07-14-2012 04:13 PM

Is there anything i can get that would look like vines? Like some kind of drift wood that isnt just like a chunk of wood?

Ive seen anubias on lava rock, can they grow on lace rock too? I dont really like the red rock.

Varkolak 07-14-2012 04:47 PM

Anubias can grow on anything, just get some fishing line and tie them to the rock or driftwood, some people tie moss's to driftwood to create very nice aquascapes. On your first post why cant you have both? Cloud minnows and ghost shrimp should be able to co-exist easily in a 20long that is somewhat planted and with the right plants its entirely possible that both will reproduce and multiply

Eurekaseven 07-14-2012 06:57 PM

I dunno, I think id like to focus on just one of them. Wouldnt the temperature for the fish be too cool for the shrimp?

Varkolak 07-14-2012 10:53 PM

Ever heard the old saying that lobsters are the cockroaches of the sea? I take that to heart when thinking of crawdads and shrimp, in their natural environment they make do with anything and everything and come out kicking, pretty sure you can find a temp that both are fine with