Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Red Tail Black Sharks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/red-tail-black-sharks-107/)

PrincessFish 08-06-2006 11:40 AM

Red Tail Black Sharks

I have recently set up an aquarium for my younger brother and am having toruble deciding which fish to add. He really would like a red tailed black shark and i have seen them in a local pet store. My question is what other types of fish are compatable with these types of sharks? I have a small list of fish i hav seen which would look good in the aquarium but i am not sure if they will be compatable: happy widows, guarami's, silver dollars, guppy's, angelfish, siamiese fighters and danios. I obviously do not want to add all of these fish i just need to know which are compatable and i also would like any other suggestions of fish which could be added.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

SimplySplendid 08-06-2006 12:25 PM

I would advise against a Red Tailed Black Shark as they are territorial and aggressive. You should stick with community fish. Also don't put Bettas (aka siamese fighters) in a community tank as they will attack fish that they feel are a threat (such as guppies). Angelfish are "community" fish, but they can be a bit territorial, and also they may well outgrow your tank.
How many gallons is your tank?

Brie

PrincessFish 08-06-2006 12:34 PM

cool thanks for that!!! I don't know how many gallons are in the tank but it is 75 litres, it is a 2 ft tank. What types of fish are best for beginners as i don't have much knowledge of fish (even although i work in a pet store and shud)

Rebecca 08-06-2006 12:36 PM

75 litres= a little under 20 gallons. :)

PrincessFish 08-06-2006 12:39 PM

Cheers :D so does any1 hav any suggestions which fish would be good to have for beginners?

Rebecca 08-06-2006 12:46 PM

Well I know that gouramis and Chinese Fighters (aka Betta) are aggressive. A betta can't really be kept with too many other fish as it is territorial and will attack any fish it deems threatening. Gouramis are a species fish and are semi-aggressive, which means it may not be a good idea to have it in with other fish as it could attack and kill them. Angel fish are beautiful but somewhat aggressive and will basically eat anything they can catch and fit in their mouths. However, they are community fish, you just have to be careful. If you have an angel fish, a bad fish to put in with it would be a neon tetra because they are so small.

SimplySplendid 08-06-2006 12:47 PM

Here are some good beginner community fish:

Barbs (cherry barbs, golden barbs)
Corydoras
Danios
Guppies
Platies
Swordtails
Loaches (Clowns loach, pakistan loach)
Plecos
Tetras (black neon tetra, glowlight tetra, rummynose tetra)
Those are some ideas for your tank.

Fish to avoid:
Paddlefish (can grow to 6 feet)
Irridescent Shark (large & clumsy)
Red talied catfish (can grow to 3 feet)
Pacu (4-5 feet)
South American Leaf Fish (difficult to maintain, need copious amounts of live food)

Hope that helps :D

PrincessFish 08-06-2006 12:50 PM

Very helpful!! Thanks for tht!!!! :D

SimplySplendid 08-06-2006 12:51 PM

No problem.

Brie

joeshmoe 08-06-2006 04:17 PM

corys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol: yaaaaaa