Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ammonia=Water Change?s (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ammonia-water-change-s-106869/)

bigtattoo79 07-10-2012 10:23 PM

Ammonia=Water Change?s

Hi I am new to the forum but looks like its full of great information. I recently set up a 30 gal fresh water tank for our son and now realize I didn't give it time for the proper cycle to take place. The fish are doing good but the ammonia creeps up every 24-36 hrs and from the reading I have done it seems the best course of action would be to keep doing PWCs until the ammonia levels stabilize.
So my question when doing the PWCs do I vacuum the rocks or just siphon water out?
Also when doing PWCs I used a dechlorinator for the tap water and have been adding it to the water before putting into the tank. Is it ok to add the dechlorinator to the tank and then just add the tap water or should I continue doing it the way we are doing?

Thanks BigTat

Tazman 07-10-2012 10:34 PM

Welcome to the forums and TFK :wave:

If you notice that there is uneaten food on the bottom of the tank, then vacuum when you do the water changes. If there is no uneaten food, then a vacuum once a week will be enough.

Keep doing what are you doing, by using the dechlorinator before it goes into the tank, then it has time to start working.

Keep up with the partial water changes and it should finish cycling soon. It can take 6-8 weeks.

What fish do you have in the tank?

bigtattoo79 07-10-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1149385)
Welcome to the forums and TFK :wave:

If you notice that there is uneaten food on the bottom of the tank, then vacuum when you do the water changes. If there is no uneaten food, then a vacuum once a week will be enough.

Keep doing what are you doing, by using the dechlorinator before it goes into the tank, then it has time to start working.

Keep up with the partial water changes and it should finish cycling soon. It can take 6-8 weeks.

What fish do you have in the tank?

Thanks for the warm welcome.
The fish are as follows: 2 Bala Sharks
2 Dalmation Mollys
2 Baloon Belly Mollys
2 Serpae Tetra
4 Tetra (either Black Tetra or Silver Tip Tetra not sure of the ones we bought)
2 Cory Cats

Do you think we are too over stocked?

Thanks,
BigTat

Tigris 07-11-2012 04:09 AM

The big things that pop out are the bala sharks which will get to big for that tank an the number of cories. Cories are very social and schooling so they appreciate 5 or more in a group.
Posted via Mobile Device

dave56 07-11-2012 06:15 AM

The Serpaes should be in a larger group to(after the tank cycles) helps divert aggression towards other fish.

Olympia 07-11-2012 06:33 AM

Agree with the above. However do wait until the tank cycles before adding more fish. :-D
Posted via Mobile Device

equatics 07-11-2012 07:26 AM

There are also a number of "bacteria-in-a-bottle" products. I used API StartRight. Keep up with water changes until you get it in and keep monitoring the ammonia until it reads zero for a few days.

Byron 07-11-2012 02:13 PM

I concur with what's been posted. Additionally, what is your water pH? This has a relation to the ammonia's toxicity, which is why i ask.

You will need to make some decisions on the fish, removing some and adding more of some others. You may find our profiles helpful, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. In posts if the name is the same as used in the profile it will shade, example Serpae Tetra and Bala Shark, and you can click the shaded name for the profile. Please check out the fish that you now have, in order to determine which must go and which species need more.

One note, the Serpae T I would get rid of, they can be nippy and this is problematic for other fish so your choice will be severely limited. A tank of just 12 or so Serpae is one option, but if other fish are wanted they should go.

And welcome to TFK forum.:-D

Byron.

bigtattoo79 07-11-2012 07:25 PM

Thanks for all the advice y'all. Im kinda upset that I have some fish that can't stay. Will most pet stores take free fish from ppl?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 07-11-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtattoo79 (Post 1150458)
Thanks for all the advice y'all. Im kinda upset that I have some fish that can't stay. Will most pet stores take free fish from ppl?
Posted via Mobile Device

Depends on the store. This is a recent tank so the store where you bought whichever fish might be willing to have you return it, for credit perhaps. They should have advised you better, but we all know this is rare, very rare.