Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   How many Tiger Barbs to make them not as agressive (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/how-many-tiger-barbs-make-them-106866/)

Mapboy 07-10-2012 08:57 PM

How many Tiger Barbs to make them not as agressive

Currently I have one large guppy (had for 1+years) and 3 medium/large rasboras in my 10 gallon tank with plants at the moment.

I would really like to get tiger barbs, but I know they are aggressive, but I heard if in groups they might not be as aggressive. How many would i need to lower their aggressiveness. Also, the ones I'm looking at would be smaller than the rasboras and guppy by about 1/2 or 1/3 size.

If not, would I be able to fit a red tailed shark or an iridescent shark?

Currently the Guppy I feel chases around the rasboras more so than the other way around. All together they get along great currently and there is not any aggressiveness.

Thanks

Tazman 07-10-2012 09:02 PM

None of the fish you like/want to add are suitable for a 10g tank, they both need at least 30g for the Tiger Barbs and a 48" Long 50g for the Red tailed Shark.

Mapboy 07-10-2012 09:04 PM

Do you have any suggestions for a solitary bottom swimmer that would make use of caves etc? That would fit in a 10 gal?

jaysee 07-10-2012 09:12 PM

African dwarf frogs?

Tazman 07-10-2012 09:13 PM

Corydoras aeneus or Corydoras paleatus in a group of 4-5. Whiptail Catfish, is also an option possibly.

Mapboy 07-10-2012 09:19 PM

Would a freshwater crab that doesn't need air be okay?
I don't know how I feel about adding cory catfish, but was considering a frog.

Tazman 07-10-2012 09:22 PM

I know nothing about frogs or crabs for freshwater so am not the best person to offer help on that one...sorry.

jaysee 07-10-2012 09:27 PM

A Dwarf crayfish would work, though not with the frogs.

I would not keep bronze Cory's in a 10 - they are one of the largest species. IMO only dwarf Cory's belong in such a small tank. I also would not feel good about putting a fish that can grow to 6 or 7 inches in a 10. A ten is as small as it gets for a community tank, and should be stocked accordingly.

fish monger 07-11-2012 07:58 AM

I have 2 African Dwarf Frogs in a ten gallon with a handful of peaceful fish. They are interesting and entertaining in my opinion. They are pretty much defenseless, so they need peaceful tank mates.

Byron 07-11-2012 03:43 PM

Mapboy, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:wave:

I agree with the advice others have posted. I'll just let you know of our fish profiles section, under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. The info for each species includes numbers required, minimum tank size, fish size, compatibility issues, etc. It shouldhelp you work out things, though the freshwater crustaceans are not included.

Byron.