Tropical Fish Keeping banner

C02 diffusing question?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  blueblue48 
#1 ·
alright well im setting up a 20 gal grow-out tank for amazon swords and i want to be growing as much as possible, and i want nice plants and stuff so i planned on DIY C02. got everything togethor and now i have a question about which airstone i should use. ive heard you can diffuse c02 with airstones but i have a long one the regular bubble and a circle one.
Heres a pic:

i guess im just asking which (or even if) one would be better then the rest. thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I use a 4" wooden diffuser. It lets off much saller bubles and I feel does a better job. I also have a tank that is usingglass bead diffusers. I guess I'm just experimenting a little. I do like the wooden ones better. At least for now. Both are more expensive than those you have pictured.

#4 ·
The little blue one. DIY will not create enough pressure to even come close to driving bubles past the first 1/2 inch of the others. A waste of space. Even if I had pressurized I wouldn't use anything but the small blue one from the ones you have.

Also, if you have an HOB filter or a canister put the air stone under the intake of the filter and you will get better CO2 levels.

#5 ·
alright thanks. all i need is baking powder and then everything will be done. I couldnt find any aquarium sealent, so i went with this little white silicone stuff, on the back it says once its cured its suitable for food service so i thought that it would be fine with a fish tank, is this ok?

#6 ·
The silicone could be fine. If it is 100% silicone it is definately fine. I think it will have 100% VOc as the only ingredient.

As for the baking soda, tried and didn't like it. My mixtures actually seemed to last longer without it. Most of the research I have seen says that the sugar will be used up well before the alcohol levels become so high that it kills the yeast. That is why some DIY CO2 users rarely completely make a new mix but only change out most of the water and add a new sugar mixture. If you are worreid about it then get Wine yeast as it has a much higher alcohol tolerance. By all means, try it, you might have beter luck than I did using it.

#7 ·
oh well im having great luck with it so far. i set it up last night and this morning its shooting up a lot of little bubbles, more then the 1 bubble every so often as people have described it. ill get a video or pic later, i moved all of my plants there and theres 13 total. yaay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.