Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 20 Long Planted, stocking suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-20-long-planted-stocking-suggestions-106734/)

Drift 07-09-2012 10:02 PM

New 20 Long Planted, stocking suggestions?

I'm usually a Betta fish fan, so this is going to be my first community tank. I'm pretty excited about it.

20 gallon long.
Fine gravel substrate.
Tropic Sun Light ( 24", 17 watts, 5500k daylight)
Aqua Clear 150/30 Filter

1 Medium size piece of aquarium driftwood.

Current plants:
4 Swords ( not sure of type, bought off someone for cheap. Look like amazons.)
4 Small Java ferns on drift wood.
2 Anubias
1 Pennywort? I think this what it is.
1 Hornwort
1 bunch of Needle Leaf Rotala
1 dwarf subulata
1 bunch of narrow leaf ludwigia
1 bunch rotala indica
1 large bunch of mint charlie
1 chain sword

Put some flourish tabs in the substrate and use API's Leaf Zone.

I'll call the water company tomorrow to find out the Gh & Kh. I can't find it on their report unless i'm missing something. It's here: http://shilohwater.org/pdfs/Annual-W...ity-Report.pdf

I just want to get some fish that will coexist well together.

I love Glass Catfish. Pacific Blue Eye Rainbow fish ( or any of those varieties), Golden White Cloud's, Neons of any sort, Any Cory cats, black neon tetra, glowlight tetra, Celestial pearl danio.

Not a fan of Guppy's, Mollies, Platy's, and Swordtails. No reason other than they don't really interest me.

Magna pisces custos 07-10-2012 04:21 AM

Neon Tetras, bristlenose pleco, some corys, and ______, _________, would be cool.
Tetras look good in planted tanks, and they like them too. As do corys.

Clubber 07-10-2012 04:36 AM

Have you considered a planted discus setup? 6 adult sized discus would be nice, with a very large shoal of cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, 50 or so, and 12-15 corydoras. Then a few bristlenose pleco's, I like the albino ones.

LOL!

But really, 6-8 neons or 6 or so cherry barbs maybe with 4-6 panda cories, a few otocinclus catfish for algae and for a centerpiece maybe a dwarf gourami or honey/s.

Varkolak 07-10-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clubber (Post 1148124)
Have you considered a planted discus setup? 6 adult sized discus would be nice, with a very large shoal of cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, 50 or so, and 12-15 corydoras. Then a few bristlenose pleco's, I like the albino ones.

LOL!

But really, 6-8 neons or 6 or so cherry barbs maybe with 4-6 panda cories, a few otocinclus catfish for algae and for a centerpiece maybe a dwarf gourami or honey/s.

Lol I almost took you seriously thinking you mistook it for a 200gal :lol: but ya overall a solid idea but you may be pushing it with that many fish though as long as the plants do well it should counter balance it - I'm a fierce supporter of golden honey gourami so +1

Drift 07-10-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clubber (Post 1148124)

LOL!

Really!? I'll go buy some Checkerboard Discus. I bet you I could easily fit 8 of them in there, because you know whatever anyone suggests I should just add 2 more of. :lol:

Even if it was a large enough tank, I don't think I'd be able to afford "6 discus". That's $300 right there. Maybe if I win the lottery. :P However, they'd love the amount of tanins in the water right now.

I also thought Pleco's got too large as well? My older brother has one in his 40 gallon and he's rather large. Otherwise we have some that bred in our 90 gallon at work that are running amuck. Probably 12-13 offspring. Some are even albino? Also don't they tend to up root plants?

I still feel a 20 long is too small for the gouramni's. I don't want it to be packed.

Is the fine gravel ok for Cory's? I like the Emerlad Green ones.

I also thought this tank isn't large enough for oto's as well?

Are Cherry Barbs calmer than their Tiger barb cousins? I just saw some green ones the other day and they're gorgeous. However, I always thought most barbs were aggressive. Had them a long time ago and they terrorized the other fish. The same with Danio's.

Sorry for all the questions but I want this tank to be done right.

And that list is just a list of what I've seen and liked, not what I am putting in or set on. I'm open to any suggestions.

Clubber 07-10-2012 09:52 AM

Dwarf gouramis should be fine. I see them in 10 gallons all the time, and I myself kept 3 in a 20 tall once.

Cherry barbs are much less aggressive, they're very peaceful in comparison. As for tigers though, just a note that they're fine when in groups then they focus on each other.

Otto's....certainly not too large for a 20 long. Plecos...common and most others, yes, but bristlenose/bushynose plecos stay under 6". I've had a male and female for 2 years and they're around 4". Many debate adding bushynoses to a 20long however. I myself think they do better in larger tanks. But ottos are good for a 20l, or below even. I keep 4 in a 20 long and they'll continue to have all sorts of room since they stay small.

Discus...they're my dream fish. I wish I could get them, the price is too rich for my blood now though.

I personally only keep cories in sand but if the gravel is fine then I am not sure. Hopefully others will weigh in.

Geomancer 07-10-2012 11:01 AM

If the gravel is 'soft' and not sharp/rough it will be fine, they do best in sand though as they root around in the substrate looking for food all the time. You just don't want anything rough that will tear up their barbels.

Amazon Swords are going to get far too large for a 20 long, they are a very tall plant. You can keep them for now, see what they do. Some species will break the surface and keep growing up. You can try clipping any leaves that get too long.

API Leaf Zone is near useless, I wouldn't use it. It only has Iron and Potassium I believe. Flourish Comprehensive will have all the nutrients, the only thing it misses is Calcium and Magnessium which is assumed will be in your tap water. Your fine if your tap water is 4 dGH or higher, less than that you may want to add Equalibrium to bump it up a little (but not much).

Your water quality report does not give the information needed to know GH or KH. I would call them and ask, if for some reason the person on the phone does not know, take a sample of tap water to a pet store and ask them to test it (most use strips which only give a broad range). If you go to a pet store, make sure they tell you the number and not a word. "Soft" and "Hard" mean different things to different people.

Drift 07-10-2012 11:54 AM

Called the water company today. The lady seemed utterly confused and had the manager call me. He said they have 5 different wells that supply the water and that each area is different ranging from 5-12g/gl, but for the area i live in it is 8-9 g/gl.
As for Kh, he had no idea even what that was. Sigh.

As for pet store strip reading.

Ph: 7.0
Alkalinity: 140 mg/l
Hardness: 130 mg/l

The gravel is pretty fine and well rounded so I doubt it would tear their barbels up, but if they're going to be unhappy with it I'll have to reconsider them.

I'll look for the Flourish Comprehensive then and toss the API stuff. I used Seachem's Flourish Root tabs. Is that an ok brand? Or should I switch to something else next time? As for water conditioner. I've always used API's stress coat. Should I change that as well? May as well get this all right while I have the chance. Lol.

The amazon swords are planted at the back of the tank. I'm hoping they will grow out of the water as there is a gap between the back of the tank and the lid. So they have room to grow out. If not, they can be relocated to a 40 gallon.

Now that I have some of the basic levels, any better suggestions for fish and how many to put in?

Also shrimp? I've always tossed ghost shrimp in with my betta's. Of course, their lives were short lived with the little murderers. I saw Chinese Algae shrimps today? Can you still use fertilizer with shrimp? I've herd it can kill them off because it sometimes contains copper? Also RCS are sold at my LFS. I really like the little busy buggers, but don't want to spend $3 on something that's going to die in 3 days.

Geomancer 07-10-2012 12:12 PM

The Flourish root tabs are fine, they're a solid version of the liquid. There are other brands out there that are similar, but pet stores tend to only carry one, maybe two brands so I don't know their name. Most everyone sells Flourish though.

If the gravel is smooth, it will be fine with Cory's. I have one tank with gravel and they're perfectly happy with it and have spawned several times.

Looks like the numbers they gave is grains per gallon, which is very very close to degrees so for all intents and purposes you can say you have 8-9 dGH (converting this is close to what the strips gave in ppm), and the test strips show your alkalinity (KH) is similar which is most often the case so you can probably trust that result. That puts you just over the line into medium-hard water. You'll likely be fine with tank bred fish, but will have to take care on any wild caught fish and double check that they can take that. You'll be fine with most soft water fish, but there are some that need to be under 6 or 8 dGH. Do not get liveberers (you already have most on your exclusion list anyways) as they need hard water.

With that water you will not need to use Equalibirum, just the Flourish. Do one dose a week, it does have copper(plants need it) but it's a very small amount. I keep ghost shrimp in two of my tanks, and they've been alive for over 6 months and couting. Some fish will eat shrimp though! If it fits in their mouth, they may go for it. With enough plants providing cover, they should manage though. Start with some ghosts since they're a few cents. If they dissapear in a week, you know not to get cherry shrimp ;)

Drift 07-10-2012 12:41 PM

I'll start off with some Ghost Shrimps then. Hopefully they won't die off on me.

I plan on buying from a place called That Fish Place/That Pet Place. May have herd of them as they sell online? The store is a half hour drive from my house. How would I know if they are tank bred?

Are Cories ok in the med/hard water type?

And is the water too hard then for a dwarf gourami/ honey?