Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Male guppies always around each other... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/male-guppies-always-around-each-other-106726/)

LyzzaRyzz 07-09-2012 09:22 PM

Male guppies always around each other...

What could this mean? They are in a 45 gallon, with six females, that are all giving birth i believe, at least three of them are, the Ammonia is 0-.10, nI 0, nA 0-10. There is also a small BN pleco and a small RN pleco.

They didnt do this in the ten gallon QT they were in, but it isnt always chasing, though sometimes, they do swim in a line, though it doesnt seem fast enough to be a chase. Ive seen guppy chases, and this isnt it. They hang out together, push the females out of the way, but mostly, its them, swimming around, as if they are in a pack!

What could this be?

Chesh 07-10-2012 02:38 PM

well. . . if YOU were a man surrounded by woman giving birth. . . who would YOU be hanging out with?! They're in the waiting room, ready to hand out cigars. . .Maybe they're talking about plans for the mancave. ;)

I honestly don't know, I just got a giggle from the thought. Perhaps the pregnant fems are chasing the males off?

I've seen this happen when my mollies are pregnant and not in the mood. . . and the females got very nippy when they were about to give birth or actually birthing. But you say it's the BOYS shoving the girls around?

Hopefully someone who knows more will be by to help!

LyzzaRyzz 07-10-2012 08:30 PM

Haha lmao!
it's the boys pushing the girls outta their "circle" and the girls nipping the boys.
I think maybe it is cause so many of the females are giving birth..
Tha k you!

Chesh 07-10-2012 08:49 PM

heehee, poor guppies! They're back in gradeschool! It does sound like normal pre or during delivery behavior to me, just keep an eye on things and make sure nobody gets TOO pushy. . . and congrats on the (soon to be?) fry! This is what you were hoping for, right? HUZZAH for BABIES!

LyzzaRyzz 07-10-2012 09:14 PM

Actually, yeah! I already have about 20 babies in my fry tank, and about ten way down on the bottom of the tank that I can't get! I love the babies! I have two that are 29 days old, and are about ready to move to a bigger tank! I'm thinking of putting them in a five gallon with my betta, [who doesn't mind anything else in his tank]. I just need to find time to do it!!

Chesh 07-10-2012 09:35 PM

Fantastic! I want pics of this tank!!! (THESE tanks, I should say ;))

LyzzaRyzz 07-10-2012 10:00 PM

You will! =] I take pictures all the time, I'm just out of town for the night! I miss my fishuns!