Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Ich medications...which to use?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ich-medications-use-106698/)

CallieDee 07-09-2012 03:02 PM

Ich medications...which to use??

My 55g has succumbed to ich, I've lost 4 rosy barbs in the last week and I'm worried about my cichlids and my pleco. I have raised the temp to 88F as of Saturday/Sunday and I went out and bought Morton's Kosher Salt and would like to start doing salt baths for the entire tank. I also bought Jungle Ick Guard as a back up; I don't relish the thought of using chemicals to treat my fish.

Would someone be able to advise how to start dosing. I have heard anywhere from 1 TABLEspoon for every 5 gal of water to 1 TEAspoon for every 10 gal. Do I directly mix the salt with water in the tank or mix salt and water out of the tank and slowly add it in? Should I just skip the salt and grit my teeth and use the chemicals? I just need some straight answers as I am extremely worried about my fish.

There are no live plants in my tank and it is fully cycled. I do have carbon filters as well.

Thanks so much

Fishguy2727 07-09-2012 03:36 PM

One tablespoon per five gallons is ideal. You can add a half dose to start and if after 12 hours there are no signs of stress then do the other half of the dose.

That temp is a bit high, I would keep it lower unless there are just discus in there. What is your usual temp?

CallieDee 07-09-2012 03:44 PM

78 usually. I have 2 JDs, a blood parrot and a Pleco. They actually don't seem to mind it, seem more active
Posted via Mobile Device

Fishguy2727 07-09-2012 04:24 PM

With those fish I wouldn't go above 82-84F. I do not think temp is significant with ich. If you keep it up just make sure you compensate for the increased bioload with water changes. This is always a good idea anyways with any stress of illnesses.

jaysee 07-09-2012 05:19 PM

The increase in temp alone is sufficient to break the life cycle and cure the fish - I would not mix remedies. 88 is a little high, but not too high for a 2 week treatment. Some strains are more resistant to heat than others - when the temp is lower there is a risk of an unsuccessful treatment. 86 is good - only once has it not worked for me, at which point I bumped it up to 90. I treat all new fish for ich while in quarantine.

CallieDee 07-09-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1147466)
The increase in temp alone is sufficient to break the life cycle and cure the fish - I would not mix remedies. 88 is a little high, but not too high for a 2 week treatment. Some strains are more resistant to heat than others - when the temp is lower there is a risk of an unsuccessful treatment. 86 is good - only once has it not worked for me, at which point I bumped it up to 90. I treat all new fish for ich while in quarantine.

I checked the temp before I left today and misread, it is at 86 not 88. Unfortunately I don't have the option to quarantine. So do you recommend the salt or the ick guard? Or are you saying don't do either with the temp at 86.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 07-09-2012 05:58 PM

I never use salt for anything - I don't like it. But that's my choice. You definitely don't want to use meds with the temp increased. Many meds utilize the oxygen in the water, which is already depleted because of the temp. Were it my tank, I would just stick with the heat treatment. Leave it at 86 for 2 weeks. Works for me every time, and I never have reinfections. Most people will say to do daily vacs and water changes. I have never done that though.

Fishguy2727 07-09-2012 08:45 PM

I always do salt and water changes, no temp boosts. Same thing, gets it every time without it coming back. Ich is NOT as bad as many people make it out to be. In many cases you need to do NOTHING except reduce stress. Ich is like a cold, it only causes a problem if its host is stressed. Remove that stress and it goes away with no other action.

I think temps that high are more stressful than salt.

jaysee 07-09-2012 08:49 PM

I agree, ich is very easy to treat, and there are a number of ways to do it.

CallieDee 07-10-2012 10:02 AM

Well here's my update:

the last of my rosy barbs died in the last 9 hours...BUT here's the thing it was completely white and had a hole in its side on either end, but the hole wasn't all the way through the fish. I don't know if this happened because it was dead in there all night (I was sleeping) or if I'm dealing with something else...does ich eat through fish???

On the bright side, my JDs and my Blood Parrot are eating normally and they are dark in color and not pale (I hear paleness in fish is a sign of stress).