Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Jack Dempseys just laid eggs!!

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Lisalis 
#1 ·
I have an empty 55 gallon at my mom's house, how long should I leave the parents in there>>the male seems to be eating some of the eggs but she keeps on laying more! Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

#2 ·
The eggs will hatch in 3-5 days but if there are any other fish in the tank with them.

REMOVE THE OTHER FISH immediately. They are highly protective of their eggs and will literally kill anything which comes near them, if they feel threatened.

The tank size is about the limit for keeping a single fish and a pair should be housed in a 75g tank or bigger. If this is their batch of eggs then DO NOT be disheartened that NONE survive. It can take a few attempts to get it right.

Reactions: Lisalis
#3 ·
The eggs will hatch in 3-5 days but if there are any other fish in the tank with them.

REMOVE THE OTHER FISH immediately. They are highly protective of their eggs and will literally kill anything which comes near them, if they feel threatened.

The tank size is about the limit for keeping a single fish and a pair should be housed in a 75g tank or bigger. If this is their batch of eggs then DO NOT be disheartened that NONE survive. It can take a few attempts to get it right.
They are in a breeder tank for now....ALONE....it was temp until I rehomed them to the larger tank! I will be upgrading soon!! Thanks for the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.