Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   what do most of yall do ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-do-most-yall-do-106575/)

Kelly100 07-08-2012 10:43 AM

what do most of yall do ?

I was just wonderin.... does anyone out there take any of your fish out the aquarium when they clean it ? I'm soooo afraid I will somehow suck the little Shrimps up the tube when I'm cleanin. I just recently got into aquariums again, it's been years since I had one. I have only did one major water change since I got my Ghost Shrimp. Those cuties are sooooo teeny tiny and invisible that I just think I'm gonna suck them up !!

Stingray81 07-08-2012 10:55 AM

If you can catch them I would get them out. Get a cup or something (fill it with water from the tank) to put them in while doing your doing a water change. It you can't catch them then just be really carful and remember if you see somthing gettting sucked up that isn't supposed to be sucked up you can always squeeze the siphon hose, that will stop the siphon and release anything thats getting sucked up.
Posted via Mobile Device

eaturbyfill 07-08-2012 11:05 AM

I don't remove my aquarium stuff, because they are all decent size fishies. But if I had something that small, I would try to catch them and remove them during the change.

jaysee 07-08-2012 11:26 AM

No, I never remove anything. Go slow and they will get out of the way. If you happen to see one get sucked into the tube, all you have to do it pull it out of the water and the water in the tube (with the shrimp) will empty back into the tank.

Removing the inhabitants for routine maintenance is way overkill.

Olympia 07-08-2012 12:23 PM

I agree. Plus pulling at the fish and shrimp out of a tank weekly would seriously turn me off fish keeping. xD
If you're worried, always check the bucket before you dump it as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikaila31 07-08-2012 01:59 PM

shrimp will over all be fine during a water change. They tend to avoid swimming up the tube. I keep cherries which breed readily, if one or two go down the drain during a water change I don't really care. If I am doing a major over all and expect to suck up lots of shrimp I normally close the bath tub drain. I always drain into the bath tub. Then I will net any shrimp I see out of the tub and toss them back in the tank before draining the tub.

thekoimaiden 07-08-2012 03:51 PM

I've never removed any fish for a routine water change. It's generally not a good idea. Stressful for you and the fish. If you're worried about sucking up shrimp, you could put an old piece of pantyhose on the siphon with a rubberband. The water will still be drawn up, but any shrimp that might get caught would bounce right off.

Varkolak 07-08-2012 08:26 PM

Its too much hassle to take shrimp out, if your worried get a hose with a valve on the intake so you can turn the water flow down/off if you see a shrimp get trapped, honestly though most shrimp are smart enough to run away and not get sucked up

GwenInNM 07-08-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 1146042)
shrimp will over all be fine during a water change. They tend to avoid swimming up the tube. I keep cherries which breed readily, if one or two go down the drain during a water change I don't really care. If I am doing a major over all and expect to suck up lots of shrimp I normally close the bath tub drain. I always drain into the bath tub. Then I will net any shrimp I see out of the tub and toss them back in the tank before draining the tub.

What a great idea - I'm taking that one! I too have RCS, and always suck up babies. I spend so much time "rescuing" them out of the bucket, it's ridiculous! I disagree that babies are "smart" enough to swim away. I get a few even in my tank, that I would not expect any, because of all the fish that will eat them. They seem smart enough to stay away from fish, but not the syphon :)

Thanks

Gwen

eaturbyfill 07-08-2012 09:44 PM

Good luck with your shrimp. I hope all of these answers have been able to help!