Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   breeding apples? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/breeding-apples-10656/)

daisycutter 01-06-2008 12:55 AM

breeding apples?

i have 5 of these at ping-pong ball size and above ..will they ever breed? i understand that there single sex snails i assume i have at least one pair among the 5 unlike other species i would like some more of these very useful snails

Oldman47 01-06-2008 08:02 AM

If they are in good condition they will breed. For many of us, the thing that keeps them from being successful is that they lay their eggs in a clutch above the water line. Since most tanks are kept fairly full, there is no good place to lay the eggs. Once the egg clutch is in place,it needs to stay moist but not wet. If you keep the water level below the eggs and have a good cover, the humidity in the area above the water will usually be enough for them. If you cover the egg clutch with water, the eggs will drown.
At less than an inch I would not be too eager to look for eggs. That is still a little small for breeding. At golf ball size they will breed freequently. What are you feeding them to help them grow larger and stay healthy? They need a good balanced diet which could include most fish foods, especially those formulated for vegetable loving fish. It would also include things like slices of zucchini or cucumber. Mine also enjoy a treat of boiled brussel sprout leaves. There are also recipes for some good snail food here. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...d.php?t=135871

Trishfish 01-06-2008 12:07 PM

Good water conditions are most important. After that, I would say good food. Whenever I have had a lull, I feed a bunch of zucchini and they breed and lay like crazy. Yours are definately large enough to be breeding. Have you noticed any mating? If not, try veges and see what happens. Make sure any opening in your tank are covered so the females don't wander off to lay.

Cody 01-06-2008 04:42 PM

Snails need a good amount of room above the water line to have an egg clutch. I have read that taking 3inches off the water line has the best effect if you want to breed snails.

Trishfish 01-06-2008 04:48 PM

I've never found them to need that much room. If the water is dropped an inch below where the frame meets the water it is plenty of room. They will also crawl upside down and lay on the hood.

daisycutter 01-06-2008 07:55 PM

i bought them as an alternative to the problematic plecos they share 29g with fish so the water conditions are kept at a high qaulity for the benifit of the fish they get a great amount of greens as they share there tank with silver dollars that also reqire greens i find they make a beeline for meaty foods rather than greens but they have access to both my tank has a large space above the waterline about 6inchs ive still had no eggs perhaps they need to be bigger i have "lost" some of them only to find them up in the hood space there is no gaps to recuce evaporation so they certaily have a place to lay

fish_4_all 01-07-2008 12:19 AM

Be patient, mine were the same size and did not lay eggs until for 3 weeks after I thought they were mature enough and qitnessed mating.

I fed mine green beans to induce them to lay eggs and it worked very well.

I hate to say it but there is a chance that you do have all one sex. I am no expert like Trishfish is but I was able to tell the difference in the shells once they reached an inch long. I don't know exactly how to explain it but the side opposite the side where air tube somes out was shaped a ltitle different. Side by side it was easy but in the tank I didn't have a clue.

herefishy 01-07-2008 12:28 AM

I have two, softball size apple snails. Needless to say there are times when I am inundated with little apple snails. You can imagine how many egges I have at times. Here, the lfs's cannot sell them, so not only am I stuck with the parents, I can also have a bajillion (that's alot by the way) babies that I feed my clown, lahachata, and skunk loaches.

As for how long I've had them, it seems like they've been in my tanks forever. They have been breeding for about that long too. They were about golf ball size when I got them. They are fed a diet of spinach, zucchini, squash, I've even fed them apples(not being funny). Just like your fish, they need to be conditioned to breed. What better foods that those mentioned above. Take your time, be patient, you may find yourself cursing the day you asked, "When will my apple snails breed?".

daisycutter 01-07-2008 03:10 AM

thanks for the info im unlikely to curse the day they breed there just such a nice snail ive had mine in a fully planted tank witout them so much as scratching the plants......until i got my silver dollars who ate all the greenery in 2 nights
i give mine boiled maunge two (a type of flat pea) watercress,chickweed,and potato and they eat alot of frozen fish foods like mysis,and bloodworm(if they move fast)