Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Selective breeding new shrimpstrains (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/selective-breeding-new-shrimpstrains-106513/)

trit0n2003 07-07-2012 03:04 PM

Selective breeding new shrimpstrains

I would LOVE to work on developing a new strain of Neos mainly (or maybe Caridinas, but my water works much better with neos), I know from reading that it takes a while time but id still love to take on something like this.

I have studied a lot of genetics for my major so far so it definelty intrigues me to try.

So my questions are
1) Does anyone have first hand experience?
2) Any tips and tricks?
3) Any good detailed articles or forum journals you know of with more information
4) I don't want to develop a strain that has already been developed as that would be a waste of time, so does anyone have info on which strains have and haven't been worked on?

I will be researching more about my own questions, but any extra info from everyone here would be awesome

Thanks everyone!

kitten_penang 07-09-2012 06:28 AM

i have no clue about genetics but i'm sure all of us would love to read your journal when you do try to create a new strain.

Mikaila31 07-09-2012 10:12 AM

As far as I know the neon only has two stains, regular and golden. Main difficulty I see in working with neons is they are typically hormone bred by farms and will very rarely breed in your regular tanks.

trit0n2003 08-29-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 1146960)
As far as I know the neon only has two stains, regular and golden. Main difficulty I see in working with neons is they are typically hormone bred by farms and will very rarely breed in your regular tanks.

Woops I think you misread my post lol I was talking about Neos being Neocaridina Heteropoda shrimp. Such as Red cherry shrimp.

THanks for the reply though!

trapperwolves 08-30-2012 06:46 PM

Red Cherry Shrimp Tan Spot

1 Attachment(s)
I've got about 5 or 6 red cherry shrimp that have developed tan areas on their backs. Can someone please tell me if I need to be concerned about these shrimp? All the shrimp are still eating and moving around real good, including the ones with the tan coloration.

PH-7.6
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5
TDS-250
GH-11
KH-4
Temp-77.5
Food-Borneo Wild products (with some boiled veggies every now and then)

Please note the readings above have been the same and stable for about 8 months. I went from 12 red cherries to about 120 (not counting the 50 or so I have given away). I am still getting berried shrimp and everything seems OK except for this new development.

I use this tank to also grow dalmation molly fry that my daughter has so I keep the gh and tds high for the fry. There are currently only about 10 fry in the tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

trit0n2003 08-30-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapperwolves (Post 1220795)
I've got about 5 or 6 red cherry shrimp that have developed tan areas on their backs. Can someone please tell me if I need to be concerned about these shrimp? All the shrimp are still eating and moving around real good, including the ones with the tan coloration.

PH-7.6
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5
TDS-250
GH-11
KH-4
Temp-77.5
Food-Borneo Wild products (with some boiled veggies every now and then)

Please note the readings above have been the same and stable for about 8 months. I went from 12 red cherries to about 120 (not counting the 50 or so I have given away). I am still getting berried shrimp and everything seems OK except for this new development.

I use this tank to also grow dalmation molly fry that my daughter has so I keep the gh and tds high for the fry. There are currently only about 10 fry in the tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Don't worry every female shrimp has that tan patch on her back. It is called a saddle (cause it looks like a horse saddle), but those are actually her unfertilized eggs. Once she mates with a male they will move to her tail where she holds them until hatching.

Hope that clears up your concerns :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Tankfull Tropicals 09-07-2012 04:04 PM

I have the Experiance of Not doing what I wish I had tried! Your still young enough; GOOOO for it. I have 2 Sp. of Neos. A nice Cherry Tiger would be Very cool.