2 fish have died in the last 2 days
1. Size of tank?
55G: 48" L, 12" D, 18" H
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? less than 20
d. pH, KH and GH? pH: 8.4, KH: 300ppm, GH between 75 & 150
e. Test kit? Tetra strips (YES I am aware that this is not the ideal tester to use, however, this is what we have and I have not bought a liquid yet, I will not buy one until these strips run out.)
3. Temperature? 80F
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? since end of May, 2012
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
1 blood parrot cichlid, around 2-3" long, have had for 2 months
2 jack dempsey cichlids, female is about 2" long, have had for 2 months. the other is about 1 3/4" long and have and for 3 weeks
1 pleco, maybe 3-4" long, have had for 2 months
5 (almost 4) Rosy barbs, have had less than 2 weeks
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
No, we do not have access to a quarantine area
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? fake plants
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? gravel bottom
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? have a large piece of fake driftwood with plastic plants on it, also a "tree root" looking thing and another piece that I removed yesterday
9. a. Filtration? Top Fin 60 power filter
b. Heater? 200w UL heater
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
fluorescent lights, turn them on at night for around 4 hours
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?
not direct sunlight, but our living room gets plenty of light during the day
11. a. Water change schedule? 25-30% weekly
b. Volume of water changed? see above
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? tap water from the well
d. Water conditioner used? API StressCoat
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? every week
12. Foods? TetraMin Plus tropical flakes, small cichlid pellets, hikari tropical algae wafers, frozen beefheart and freeze dried shrimp (as treats)
How often are they fed? twice a day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
2-3 of my rosy barbs have the appearance of missing scales, one is barely breathing and laying upside-down or on its side at the bottom of the tank ( I have since removed it and put it into a separate container). The other 4 barbs are grouped at the top corner of the tank
b. Appearance of poop? not sure
c. Appearance of gills? not sure
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? no
b. What meds were used? none
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.
Yes this fish is still breathing, barely though. Hopefully you can see the spots where the scales are missing, I have no idea where this came from
this is my whole tank.
Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...#ixzz1zxNhe79S
are you sure your ph is 8.4??? the ph for my reef ( sw ) is 8.3 are you sure the strips are working?
do a larger wc, clean out the filter and was it clean ( since you have gravel theres bacteria in there so no worries about cleaning the filter ) try it and see if the fishes get better
I am down to only one rosy barb, 3 more have died since Saturday. I don't believe the last one will survive. I have 2 Jack Dempseys in the tank that have presented with ICH symptoms so I am treating those fish with the elevated tank temp (86F) and will be vacuuming the gravel today and beginning salt treatments
I honestly believe the barbs came to me sick from PetSmart...I don't have the option of a quarantine tank but I have never had fish die this quickly and fully blame them. I have saved the fish and will be taking them back to PetSmart to give them a piece of my mind.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.