Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Pair of Ram Cichlids not getting on (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/pair-ram-cichlids-not-getting-106380/)

schecters1 07-06-2012 09:46 AM

Pair of Ram Cichlids not getting on

I had four of them but lost two and the pair that were left seemed to be doing fine they are in a tank with just three cardinal tetras and a dwarf clown pleco, there is plenty of live plants and hiding places but this morning i woke up to find one of the Cichlids bullying the other one it was chasing it around and trying to nip at it until it tired it out so much it was just sat down the side of the filter seemingly struggling, i moved him out and into on of my betta tanks (he's a very dosile young betta so wont attack him) but what caused this outburst and will he be able to return to his original tank??
thank you for your help

Byron 07-06-2012 01:31 PM

I would assume you have either two males, or a male/female pair that will not bond. In both cases, this will not improve, and the bullied fish will be dead before long if they are kept together. Once this stage has been reached, the tank size and aquascape won't usually matter much.

You use the term pair, but I don't know if you actually mean male/female, or if you just mean two fish left. But I'll explain the male/female problem. This male of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, and the male of the closely-related species M. altispinosus, must select their own mate. The pair then bond, normally for life. You can initially either buy several fish and allow them to form their own bonded pair(s) [but then you have other fish to deal with somehow], or carefully observe them in the store tank and if any have bonded it will be obvious by their interactive behaviours.

Byron.

lorax84 07-06-2012 01:39 PM

I agree with Byrons assessment. A bonded pair of Rams is really obvious, they basically hang out next to each other all of the time. I was lucky when I got my rams, the guy at my lfs was able to pick out a pair from a tank of about 20 fish. My suggestion would be to either keep them separated or return them and start over.

schecters1 07-06-2012 02:56 PM

When i said pair i did mean just the two left i think they are both male (they were sold to me as all male) but thank you for your help its much appreciated :) and i think i will keep them seperate as the bullied fish seems to have taken a beating already and seems under the weather now and it seems happy in with my small baby betta

schecters1 07-07-2012 03:14 AM

the bullied one seems to have taken to much damage despite moving him as soon as i noticed problems yesterday morning, i found him dead this morning =/ he's in a better place now though i guess

GwenInNM 07-07-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schecters1 (Post 1144716)
the bullied one seems to have taken to much damage despite moving him as soon as i noticed problems yesterday morning, i found him dead this morning =/ he's in a better place now though i guess

Ahhh, sorry for your loss :cry:

Gwen

schecters1 07-07-2012 01:32 PM

Thanks Gwen, i stilll have the one Ram left and he is beautiful, i have not given up keeping them either despite my bad luck